Question on building up new to me short block

They are soft their only job is to locate the bell housing correctly so that it’s centered with the crankshaft. Good luck (y) :nod:

The plus or minus tolerance for the dowel locations is only +/- .001". More precise than you can achieve with a hand drill. If you vary more than that the bellhousing won't fit and/or the centerline for the pilot hole in the back of the crank will be out of center. You can only be so careful using a drill, but a milling machine will produce better results and less problems.

Thanks. The block has the correct holes. Just needs dowels moved. As near as I can tell there were 3 dowel scenarios in these late 200's. The block is fine, no need to drill any holes.

CNC-Dude":z9m8tabc said:
The plus or minus tolerance for the dowel locations is only +/- .001". More precise than you can achieve with a hand drill. If you vary more than that the bellhousing won't fit and/or the centerline for the pilot hole in the back of the crank will be out of center. You can only be so careful using a drill, but a milling machine will produce better results and less problems.

Ok I measured with some the best I could with some calipers and I do not get consistency among various blocks and pins..Unused holes seem about .368 and pin about .370 and then some pins are about .374 ...No wonder some will not come out..Standard non ford pin is .375..Just be very careful with this..A loose pin can easily be replaced but a cracked block ,well you know.. :banghead:
It sounds like you got this (y)
For the knowledge base how about a pic of the rear of the block straight on. :thanks:

When I get the block back out of the stand I'll get you a shot for the knowledge base. I've got a lathe and will probably shoot for the correct interference for the diameter/dissimilar material which won't be much. Less than .001"

drag-200stang":1a6evz59 said:
Ok I measured with some the best I could with some calipers and I do not get consistency among various blocks and pins..Unused holes seem about .368 and pin about .370 and then some pins are about .374 ...No wonder some will not come out..Standard non ford pin is .375..Just be very careful with this..A loose pin can easily be replaced but a cracked block ,well you know.. :banghead:
It sounds like you got this (y)
For the knowledge base how about a pic of the rear of the block straight on. :thanks:

drag-200stang":1l9k47yu said:
chad":1l9k47yu said:
Nevadasmith":1l9k47yu said:
On other thing to check is the crank stick out, at one point I was going to use my E0 engine in my bronco and discovered that my flywheel would rub on the block with out a 3/16-1/4" spacer, good luck
No work-around for that?
Thnx~
There is some thing wrong here, All 144, 170 and 200's stick out .062 even the low mount starter big bells.
The 250's are like a sbf at about 3/16 or so.
Well I was trying to use a re-drilled 300-6 flywheel so that was probably my stick out issue! Thanks for clarifying that!

Back