Changing rockers out

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Just curious,

Is there any benefit to put a larger ratio rocker assembly of a stock engine? My only mods are a 32/36 and a HEI. Would i only notice a difference if the HEI was curved properly? I was just wondering since i saw 1.6 ratio rockers on vintageinlines. I have an adjustable set on now, im assuming probably from a 170, im running a 65 200 with a 66 head.

My plan would be to swap out the rockers when i change my valve cover since im pretty sure its bent up and it wont quit leaking after so many gaskets. That would be the only thing i do, just the rockers and the valve cover. Is that ok or would valve spings need to be swapped to for that?

Thanks guys
Ryan

The 1.6 rocker would give you a larger lift (6%) with the cam that's in your 170.
If you have a cam with a 0.348" lift, the 1.6 rocker arms would make it seem like a 0.371" lift.

"engine is just an air pump" again, fits here, & the proviso of:

"Opening both valves further usually is a benefit in the power department as your engine is capable of moving more air and exhaust through it" (see linked article in immediately proceeding post)...

just accents on the 'higher valve lift' info. I believe the reasoning for most of our owner's motors, in most of our applications - the higher ratio is to avoid a new cam (save money) and its extra efforts in installing said cam.

Check 'the Handbook' (thru Matt at vintage inlines dot com) and the CI Archive @ 'tech archive' above (big blue box w/crossed tools)

If you have adjustable rockers now, you can make the swap to 1.6's. You not only pick up lift, but duration @ .050" also increases 2 degrees.
However if you have non adjustable rockers, you will need a set of pushrods for the 1.6's.

So this would be a good thing, great. Any prep i need to do? Like does it really just get slapped on or what? Just unbolt the old one, put old bolts in new rocker assembly, place on head and tighten, then adjust preload (lash but not really with hydraulic but i think preload is the term). Then voila?

I went 4 the cam - it's $225 less in the build kitty
(not inc the cup/ball PR I'd need)
and only gives 2 - 10% increase

I csnt afford to put a new cam in. I'd have to pull the head and all that, this is a daily. I want something i can put on in a couple of hours. Y'know?

Should i chexk for valve clearance and all or anything or with a stock setup it should be fine? No valve spring issues with stock springs?

"...I'd have to pull the head and all that..."
guy I know sez he slipped his in thru a cut out he made in the grill of the bronk, he miged up after.

StarDiero75":285u765q said:
But so the valve clearance ahould be fine? I shouldnt worry?
Valve clearance will be fine unless you screw up...Understand what you are doing and take your time and check three times. (y)

drag-200stang":h3vgjptd said:
StarDiero75":h3vgjptd said:
But so the valve clearance ahould be fine? I shouldnt worry?
Valve clearance will be fine unless you screw up...Understand what you are doing and take your time and check three times. (y)
"... just get slapped on..."
yep, sure
:nod:

I'm running 1.65 rockers with a larger lift cam and don't have any issues with the 0.495" lift on the exhaust side. Intake is a slightly smaller 0.485". Nothing ever really surprises me, but you should be good to go. :beer:

Howdy Back Star and All:

As usual, the devil is in the details. If you are buying a set of 1.6:1 rocker arms, to install you will need to remove your stock rocker arm assemble. That includes the four rocker arm mounting stanchions. Be careful to NOT pull out your stock Pushrods with the assembly. Next you will need to remove the stock rocker arms from the shaft, marking each as to it's position, along with the spacer springs on the shaft. Inspect the shaft for any signs of wear, such as galling due to lack of oil. Also inspect the cup end of the pushrods for any sigh of wear. To clean the inside of the rocker shaft remove the caps on either end and clean thoroughly. I used a shotgun brush and rod to clean mine. IF all is good take a close look at the adjusting nut on the old rocker and match that to the new rockers. That will give you a good starting point on adjustment. Reassemble in reverse of the disassembly.

On start up don't be surprised to hear clatter. Do not try to adjust until the lifters are completely pumped up. Clatter means that the setting is too loose. No sound may indicate that the adjustment nut is too tight. Most likely you will find that all are slightly tight. IF you can spin the pushrod between your thumb and fingers tighten the adjusting nut until the pushrod offers resistance. Setting the preload involve alot of starting the engine. To adjust, back of the adjusting nut until slightly loose- you may hear clatter. Tighten the nut to slightly tight and then add another 1/4 turn.

Ps- offer your stock 1.5:1 rocker arm for sale. They are sought after by folks with non-adjustable rocker arms.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

CZLN6":ryzglzx3 said:
Howdy Back Star and All:

As usual, the devil is in the details. If you are buying a set of 1.6:1 rocker arms, to install you will need to remove your stock rocker arm assemble. That includes the four rocker arm mounting stanchions. Be careful to NOT pull out your stock Pushrods with the assembly. Next you will need to remove the stock rocker arms from the shaft, marking each as to it's position, along with the spacer springs on the shaft. Inspect the shaft for any signs of wear, such as galling due to lack of oil. Also inspect the cup end of the pushrods for any sigh of wear. To clean the inside of the rocker shaft remove the caps on either end and clean thoroughly. I used a shotgun brush and rod to clean mine. IF all is good take a close look at the adjusting nut on the old rocker and match that to the new rockers. That will give you a good starting point on adjustment. Reassemble in reverse of the disassembly.

On start up don't be surprised to hear clatter. Do not try to adjust until the lifters are completely pumped up. Clatter means that the setting is too loose. No sound may indicate that the adjustment nut is too tight. Most likely you will find that all are slightly tight. IF you can spin the pushrod between your thumb and fingers tighten the adjusting nut until the pushrod offers resistance. Setting the preload involve alot of starting the engine. To adjust, back of the adjusting nut until slightly loose- you may hear clatter. Tighten the nut to slightly tight and then add another 1/4 turn.

Ps- offer your stock 1.5:1 rocker arm for sale. They are sought after by folks with non-adjustable rocker arms.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David
Shoot thats the full enchilada man thanks! I might sell them. I have another 200 that needs rockers.
I would need to adjust them slightly to the side as needed? How is thag done?

StarDiero75":2oqytqd9 said:
... need to adjust them slightly to the side as needed? How is thag done?
Wha?

Back