Engine rebuild finally finished :o)

DannyG

Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
Long story made really short, my first 200 engine was a good runner, but I wanted to freshen it up, put my cam in and "make it mine".
Well, upon teardown, it wan't worth rebuilding, already .60 over, main caps out of round, crank cut and still worn. Apparently it had been overhauled by some big mass production rebuilder that just smashes them out...
Next engine ( gotta love craigslist, these 200 engines can be found all over Long Island & NJ)languished at the machine shop for over a year. He had done a great job on a 230 dodge flathead inline 6 ( went into my 1944 WC-51 Dodge 3/4 army truck,still runs great 15 years later), but he wasn't really looking forward to my custom cam and valvespring work.
A friend suggested a machine shop that was less than a mile from my house, I knew in 2 minutes he was the guy. Glen suggested ARP rod bolts right away , degree's every cam in every build. Also runs up oil pressure before it leaves his shop .
Beautiful job done well and one funny anecdote. I took my valvecover down to bare metal, sandblasted ,hand sanded, used paint remover,primed and painted 3 beautiful coats of orange/red paint. I deliver said valvecover last month and cheerfully pick up my engine last Monday.
Naturally the engine was painted black ( correct for my 65 Mustang project) and yup, all black, even the valvecover .
A little more irony on this whole project was that I had to buy 48 indexible timing chains after Mike W. passed away, so I could get just one for my engine build. My cam ended up going in "straight up", I could have used a stock type chain set ...
Now I just have to finish the trunk sheetmetal, quarterpanels, doors, prime, paint and re-install everything in the car.
Practically finished !
DannyG

Attachments

• DSC08394.JPG
    DSC08394.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
Half tractor, half truck !

Attachments

• Old Beth 011.jpg
    Old Beth 011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
oooo!

buddy on FTE has an M-715, nother somewhat similar military Dodge to the MC-51.
Can U tell me the differences?

Again, nuttin like 'our' rigs - but pretty cool!

The M715's are completely different trucks, nothing in common with the old Dodges. IIRC, they're rated at a " a ton and a quarter" while the 4x4 WW2 WC's are 3/4 ton rated.
My truck has the Dodge 230 straight six, 4 speed non synchro tranny and 5:89's in the axles, all stock :eek:)
DannyG

i wonder if this pic will show?

they look the same to me but ur description shows a difference.
Same wheel base?[image]images.jpeg[/image]

He calls it a Kiser Jeep or jeep Gladiator (honcho) pick up...

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 54
That picture is a Dodge M-37. One of the toughest trucks around. Basically an upgraded WW2 truck, same 230 engine, synchro 4 speed, 2 sp transfer case, also 5:89's in the axles. They were built from IIRC 1952 till 1968, virtually unchanged in design. Waterproof ignition systems, capable of fording :eek:) . Very strong capable trucks....
The M-715 was an AMC product, the civvie version was marketed as the Gladiator .

of interest?:

The Kaiser Jeep M715 is an American wheeled military vehicle based upon the civilian Jeep Gladiator. In 1965 the design and developing for the M715 began. The U.S. government purchased these trucks to replace the M37. Between 1967 and 1969 over 33,000 trucks were produced at the Toledo, Ohio, plant. The overhead cam 6 cyl engines were not very reliable due to lack of knowledge on the overhead cam design and lack of maintenance. They had been dropped from civilian models by 1968. The US military replaced the M715 series with the Dodge M880 series, from 1976 on.

Kia currently produces an M715-type vehicle named the KM450 for the South Korean Army on license from the U.S. government. India's Tata/Vectra is also entering an M715 type vehicle as a candidate for the Indian Army's LSV requirement.

In 2010 Mopar developed the concept vehicle Jeep NuKizer 715. It was a tribute to the original M715.

Wikipedia

(the fella I mention has placed in an FE motor)

:beer: (y) wow those pictures sure bring back some memories! During my time in the US Army (Germany) I drove and maintained one of the Jeep versions of the 5 quarter truck, think it was a 1969 model year. :nod:

Good stories! Congratulations on your rebuild on the Mustang. 1965 is a great year to have.

Back