Pushrod length

Shelly6

Engine slowly coming together. Latest unknown for me are pushrods.

D8 head was milled .075. 200 block was zero decked. Will use Victor gasket. 302 springs. No shims. Cam card says intake and exhaust lift is .420 with 1.5 rockers but I'm using 1.6

Is there anyway to know what pushrods to order up front? Or will I need to get all the parts assembled and measure somehow. And how do you measure for a part you don't have?

What is your compression? It sounds like you are only under by whatever they decked off the block. You milled .075 off the head, where did that leave you, 50cc's? The original head was what, 48-54 cc's? and that D8 head was 62 when it was new. @ 2 cc's per .010" you're @ 47? Measuring it is the only way to know for sure.

yes, get the 'adjustable push rod' or p.r. length checker. W/what's been machined so far I think this 1 may doid:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80682/1 ... gLR5vD_BwE

That's the 8 - 9.17. For me, the hardest prt would B orderin da right 1 (length). I think Seth's done that wrk 4 U...
12 bucks here.

(y)

Shelly6":1f50h437 said:
Engine slowly coming together. Latest unknown for me are pushrods.

D8 head was milled .075. 200 block was zero decked. Will use Victor gasket. 302 springs. No shims. Cam card says intake and exhaust lift is .420 with 1.5 rockers but I'm using 1.6

Is there anyway to know what pushrods to order up front? Or will I need to get all the parts assembled and measure somehow. And how do you measure for a part you don't have?
You will have best results if you check when everything is together....Often overlooked, is the base circle of the cam the same?, maybe maybe not....that can also change length of the pushrod.

What rockers are you using? Adjustable or non?
If adjustable. You might be able to get away with stock length. You might also call Smith Bros. in Portland. Give them the info you posted. They might be able to help you out with a set the correct length.

Edit: :D I just saw you are using the 1.6 adjustable.

I use this on my Mopar slant six. Easy enough to make.
IMG_20180425_162954942.jpg

cup'n ball all right, but how'ja slip that threaded rod in the 2 prts?
:unsure::

Drgonzo":1i129tv1 said:
I use this on my Mopar slant six. Easy enough to make.
IMG_20180425_162954942.jpg

That's a good point. It's easy enough to make one out of an old pushrod (y)

Howdy Shelley and all:

I'm betting that your stock pushrods will work just fine. The hydraulic lifters can compensate for +/- of about .125". A critical check is to note the contact of the rocker arm to the tip of the valve tip. If the rocker doesn't make complete contack with the valve, start by loosening the rocker shaft at the stanchion bolts and move the rocker assembly closer or away. Then retighten and check contact again. The mounting stanchions have some play.

IF that doesn't give you a good contact a shorter pushrod may be necessary. IIRC FoMoCo offered pushrod is .010" and .020" shorter.

Finding an adjustable pushrop for a small six is a bit of a "hens tooth", because so little of the pushrod is visible when installed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Adios, David

Back