Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

What did you do to your car this weekend?

Moderator: Mod Squad

jdporter72

Re: What did you do to your car this weekend?

Post #51 by jdporter72 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 pm

New here! Have always browsed for info, hopefully I can give back!

Replaced axle seals this weekend. Right rear is still leaking (very very little, but still messy). Having a hard time finding the correct gasket for the rear axle flanges. I was told to use the same as the inside backing plate gasket, so I did, but I don't think that is correct. Not only is it still leaking, but the shape of that gasket doesn't will not seal the axle flange. Also, I keep getting pointed to the FEL-PRO 55001, but the bolt pattern is too large for this 7.25 inch rear.

Any help with a part number or other recommendation would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Alajones

Post #52 by Alajones » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 pm

My mustang got to where it wouldn’t run because it was running rich. I’ve got an electric choke. I adjusted it and also noticed these. So I replaced all the plugs, and it runs like a champ again.

I’m going to replace the air cleaner next.
1310BFBD-A16C-4BF5-A62B-ADE3E743948C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rzcrisis

Post #53 by rzcrisis » Mon May 06, 2019 8:22 pm

I installed a Pertronix ignition setup this weekend. What a difference! Idle is flatter and smooth and starts first time. Acceleration is much better and so this has been a worthwhile upgrade for sure. Took 20 minutes tops. Would highly recommend this to anyone still battling with points and condenser.

Randy
Plan the Work, Work the Plan.
1963 Ford Falcon 2DR Sedan/144ci/3Spd -work in progress (Canadian Survivor)
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT/390ci/Auto -fully restored ("Thelma"-our California girl)

ousooner919

Post #54 by ousooner919 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 am

So since I'm not yet ready to swap to an Autolite 2V carb, but I had finished the DSII ignitions swap a few weeks back and would like to keep driving her, I went ahead and spent $30 on a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb. It's interesting what you discover as you're doing your typical initial research for something like this....for example, even though my car has the 3-on-the-three manual, one of the previous owners has swapped on a automatic-transmission carb, which I discovered when I spotted the pumps on both sides of the fuel bowl. It still runs OK, I guess, and even better than hoped after the rebuild. But you know...just gives me more ammunition to plan for the 2V swap soon.

ldm314

Post #55 by ldm314 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Today I cleaned the engine as much as I could and then attacked my exhaust problems. I replaced the exhaust gasket and the donut. Found that the stock manifold is cracked but the big problem was that the donut was toast. I also found the carb loose on the manifold so I torqued that down nice and tight. Tomorrow I'm replacing the stock distributor with an adjustable HEI I picked up on Amazon as well as changing the oil.

ldm314

Post #56 by ldm314 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:45 pm

No HEI distributor in place yet, way too hot out today. I did get the oil changed and the plugs changed. Several plugs were rusted in place and took quite a bit of effort to remove. Fired it up and it is running smooth as silk.

chad

What did you do to your car this weekend?

Post #57 by chad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:11 pm

good 4 U. That's a tough one BUT U didn't ruin the threads in the hole (head).
There's work-a-rounds 4 it but U saved yer a$$
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

ldm314

Post #58 by ldm314 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:10 pm

chad wrote:good 4 U. That's a tough one BUT U didn't ruin the threads in the hole (head).
There's work-a-rounds 4 it but U saved yer a$$

Definitely got lucky. Looks like most of the rust was on the outside of the threads on the plug. The first 3 I used some penetrating oil and a breaker bar, the last 3 came out pretty easy. Checked the coolant and it was pretty low as well. Drove it the 60 miles into work today and it ran great. Looking forward to continuing to make it even better.

MustangDadDrake

Post #59 by MustangDadDrake » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 am

I have been planning and researching the Shelby Drop for months now and finally got it done :thumbup:

I also replaced the spring perches from Daze Cars and cut my extra set of springs a 1/4 coil more and put those on. Need the car to settle a little to see how much the ride height actually dropped.

The spring compressor was a little nerve racking but ended up working great. Surprisingly, the hardest part was getting the rubber space and washer back on the bottom of the shock. I ended up using a smaller washer that would fit easier. Also, a fully charged drill is needed to drill through that steel + cutting oil + a good step drill bit.

After that was done I started attacking the alignment with my vintage gauges but I still need to research that a bit more and hopefully get it dialed in next weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Mustang from Pops. Current to do list: have fun and learn new things

MustangDadDrake

Post #60 by MustangDadDrake » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:48 pm

After looking into the alignment process and fully understanding that it was best I completely replace everything on the fron suspension and get it professionally aligned.

I replaced the lower control arms, tie rods, and strut rod bushings. I rebuilt the UCA and repainted some parts. I did not replace thee sway bar but I plan to upgrade that to 1".

The painting was probably the most hassle. I didn't have a lot of experience painting that is why I painted parts that aren't easily seen.

Thanks for reading.
1968 Mustang from Pops. Current to do list: have fun and learn new things