Where to source rocker arms

Shelly6

Should have ordered the 1.6 or 1.65 rockers when I had the chance. Now VI lists both as out of stock. Clifford doesn't list them at all. Is there another place to get them?

I will definitely contact them. Might be a long shot but you never know, right? I'll report back.

no "long shot". I think that's where 'our vendor' obtainsem.

Chad's right. That's where I get my rocker arm assemblies and pushrods. I have some YT sets, but no pushrods to go with them. I may start getting the pushrods from Clay Smith. They are more expensive, but they are high performance versus a stock level.

We are facing a shortage of rebuildable stock adjustable rocker arms. A lot of people are upgrading and don't have a core to send back. Same with the 1.6 ratio. RAU is researching how to meet the demand.

If anyone has a stash, let me know.

Matt
Vintage Inlines

Yo, dude! I seen ya on TV!

(well, Utube)
8^ )

Hey Matt, have you talked to Smith Brothers in Oregon? I know they've made custom pushrods for a few members with 250's that need ball and cup.

Sounds like the adjustable 1.6 rockers are not in my immediate future.

Stock non-adjustable rockers and stock pushrods are supposed to be able to deal with a .075 mill on the head. On another thread David talks about absorbing up to 0.125.

What if I also zero decked the block? It's that still within 0.125? I don't really have a choice of rockers right now.

Howdy Back Shelley and All:

To clarify. The .075" took in two dimensions- .025" difference between old and new gasket. So for that article it came down to a .050" mill cut. For a total reduction of .075". And, Yes, the hydraulic lifters can accommodate for that much difference. BUT check for proper contact between the rocker tip and the valve, throught the lift cycle.

IF you can find a stock, early 1.5:1 adjustable rocker are assembly it could be sent in and modified to 1.6:1. They are getting scarce but they are still out there.

Adios, David

"... a stock, early 1.5:1 adjustable rocker...assembly...and modified to 1.6:1..."

* how to ID (either by engine model and cast code &/or by eyeballing a stand alone assembly)?
* how is it modifyed?

Is it just the adj bolt on the rocker, just supplied oem on the early 170s (pre '68)?
So, then, just swap rocker onto other engine's assembly?

Thnx !

Howdy Back All:

Sorry to hijack your post Shelley.

Chad's questions;
Q- "* how to ID (either by engine model and cast code &/or by eyeballing a stand alone assembly)?"
A- All small sixes, 144, 170 and 200s, came with adjustable rocker arm until somewhere in the 1965 model year. The early small sixes had solid lifters and required periodic checking and resetting of the valve lash, making adjustability necessary. Early rocker arm assemblies had a cap on the front stand. The exact date of transition to the none adjustable rocker assembly is difficult to pin down because of FoMoCos "empty bin" polices. In effect, old parts had to be used up in assembly before newer designed parts would hit the line. And, since these engines had many applications transitions to new design parts varied with each vehicle division.
As far as "eyeballing" differences, good luck. All I've seen had no part # castings or stampings. All had a very similar interferance fit adjusting nut. THe adjusting nuts appear to be the same and are interchangeable. The rocker shafts varied over time but all functioned alike. If they were made from different materials it is not evident.

Q- "* how is it modifyed?"
A- The rocker shaft hole is moved toward the pushrod side. Either with an offset bushing, an offset rebore of the shaft hole, or a combination of both.

I know of no source for new, stock type rocker arms. That is why finding early adjustable core rockers to modify and recycle is critical to the 1.6:1 rocker arm industry. That and the presicion machining required to make a set of stock type 1.6:1 adjustable rocker arm is so expensive.

Adios, David

Howdy:

PS- the oiling holes, when viewed from the front, at 10 and 3 o'clock on early adjustable rockers measure 3/32". Later, non-adjustable rocker oil holes measure 1/8". We presumed that was to add additional oil to the ball and cup contact point on the right and to the valve tip and rocker contact pad on the left. Drilling early oil holes to 1/8" is a mod we do and have seen no problems as a result of the additional oil.

PS- You'll find photos on page 13 of The Handbook (or near page 13, depending on the edition of The Handbook you have).

Adios, David

CZLN6":3dvfwivu said:
...Sorry to hijack your post Shelley...
seems like the PO's Q is answered, we're a lill forgiving here, no?

"...You'll find photos on page 13 of The Handbook..."
that's how I wuz able to answ my own Q (by the) "the interfearence fit adjusting nut".
OK, so, I forgot bout the empty bin policy @ ford which means no real exact nature to ID a so equipped motor. Just search out any '60 - (somewhere in the yr of) - '65 i6.

My Q on: "...a stock, early 1.5:1 adjustable rocker are assembly it could be sent in and modified to 1.6:1. ..."
"...* how is it modifyed?..." is ...to machine a newer rocker such that an "offset bushing" can B placed in, or an offset rebore of the shaft hole is done, or a combination of both". If I had just the old (adjustables) I could remove the newer rockers from an assembly & place the older on my newer one. Would I need the: "...rocker arm assemblies had a cap on the front stand..." as well?
OK, really the shop's Bridgeport (verticle miller, our only real tool & die cutting equp) could come in handy here.

Thank you for all the information!

No worries on a hijack.

But you guys gotta be very elementary with me. When I started this dream build, I didn't even know what the function of a rocker arm was! I have the internet, the Handbook, and the experts on this site to help me communicate with a machine shop and an engine builder.

I didn't catch the answer: Can I use my stock 1.5 non-adjustable with a .075 head mill, a modern head gasket and a zero decked block? Unfortunately I don't know how much was taken off the block. I think David tried to answer in post #10 but I can not tell if he was factoring in the decked block or not.

I desperately hope something happens and I can get the adjustable 1.6. That was my plan.

Howdy back Shelley:

The basic answer is "Yes", But with the deck machining you are getting close to the FoMoCo stated range of the hydraulic lifters of +/- .125". My advice is to try. But the valve assembly together and install on the engine. Then rotate the valve train while watching carefully. FoMoCo tends to be on the conservative side of everything, so it may work just fine. As the assembly rotates watch to see the rocker arm foot is in contact with the valve stem center throughout the full range. Ideally the rocker foot should be mid center of the valve tip at the half way point.

IF you get interference/tightness, you may need shorter pushrods. FoMoCo offered them in -.010" and -.020". Check first. You may not need them.

As far as your resources, that's three more then we had when we started on this adventure. Good luck and keep it coming.

Adios, David

Shelly6":qzept29e said:
No worries on a hijack.

But you guys gotta be very elementary with me. When I started this dream build, I didn't even know what the function of a rocker arm was! I have the internet, the Handbook, and the experts on this site to help me communicate with a machine shop and an engine builder.

I didn't catch the answer: Can I use my stock 1.5 non-adjustable with a .075 head mill, a modern head gasket and a zero decked block? Unfortunately I don't know how much was taken off the block. I think David tried to answer in post #10 but I can not tell if he was factoring in the decked block or not.

I desperately hope something happens and I can get the adjustable 1.6. That was my plan.

:unsure: The answer is yes you can use the current non adjustable rocker arms. With a .075 mill on the head plus a moderen head gasket that's .050 minus the stock steel shim head gasket of .025, minus the zero decking of the block if it's a 200 six this is about .019. So adding it all up we have .075 + .019 = .094 minus .025 for the thicker head gasket so we have a change of .069 lower that the head now sits. One old time quick fix is to use some flat washers of about .050 or so thickness under the rocker arm stands this would bring you back to almost a wash. Good luck (y)

don't forget the 'tech archive' above. That's a piece of what started this site. It's at the crossed screw driver/wrench, blue box. Reading it helped me know what Qs to ask these guys!

U could use David's book to measure ur deck'n find out 4 ur self. That's what all these (3?) tools R 4...to help empower YOU to know ur vehicle more (than any 1 else) !!!

Enjoy the learning journey, risk where U can, we can support U.

Howdy:

Sefus- That would be "Fake" news. Sorry. All 250 rockers are 1.5:1 ratio and non-adjustable.

Adios, David

Back