Autolite 1100 High Idle When Hot

ledslinger29

Hey fellas, hope ya'll are doing well. I've got this issue I've been fighting for awhile, it wasn't apparent in the fall and winter, and I thought I had it fixed. If I drive the Bronco somewhere and park it for a few minutes, say the gas station, the engine gets pretty hot sitting there parked. As soon as the the coolant starts to circulate again, it come down fairly quickly.j
My issue is that when I crank her back up, the idle is crazy high, I can put my foot under the throttle and pull it back, and it comes down, but if I push the throttle it sticks around the same spot, and I have to put my foot under it again. Does this sound familiar? Do I just have some mechanical binding due to expansion? After I drive it for a few minutes and the temp comes down the symptom goes away....

Sounds like your throdle linkage is binding or sticking and needs some readjustment. Pictures would be helpful, but if the throdle lever is flatter then it should be or is over centered this can cause the the carb linkage not to return easily by being short or adjusted too short so as to not aollow free movement. Good luck (y) :nod:

as per bubbs: "not aollow free movemen"...is it jammin under the air cleaner housing? is the 'cable outer' slippin?, stickin on a piece of carpet flap? need to repeatedly operate to free up, etc. Inspect the whole length while some 1 operates the peddle.

"...due to expansion..." possibly, but in a different way than U expect.

"...As soon as the the coolant starts to circulate again, it come down fairly quickly..."
normal...if any bronk is normal

Let us know how U do...

Howdy Back Slinger and All:

Well, a bind in the linkage is possible, but I leaning toward a choke linkage problem. Are you using an automatic choke? If the coil inside the bakelite choke cover is set too tight, like for winter, it may be kicking in to cause your idle speed problem. Back off the setting while you are checking the linkage and see what happens. Also check the fast idle cam for any problems. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Adios, David

I'm using a manual choke, starting to wonder if I've got the linkage on the accelerator pump adjusted properly as well...

Back