Timing question and more?

falcon_master

Hi everyone. I know yet another post from me. I just had a quick question about the ign. Timing for this engine. The shop manual calls for 5-6 degrees before TDC but that seems like very little to me. Does this sound right? And secondly please don't be mad but i have a non Ford related question. My daily a 2003 Mazda hatchback 5spd manual is making terrible noise from around ac compressor area. It quiets down alot whenever the compressor kicks on but when it's free wheeling it sounds like a old go kart centrifugal clutch.
Thanks everyone

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... S-Uw0CM-x0

Defective A/C clutch bearing. When you engage the A/C it takes some of the load from the bearing.
On the timing deal add 5 degrees to you initial.
You need some upgrades in that area. Shout if you need help. Bill

i agree with bill on the a/c clutch being defective.

as for timing, the factory had to set the initial timing conservatively considering that they have to warranty these engines, and these engines were built to handle a wide variety of conditions. they also had to tune the engine to handle the cheapest gasoline grade around.

you have the luxury of being able to time the engine to make it run like you want it to. i also agree with bill, you should set your initial timing at between 10-14 degrees initial.

Hi, X2. Advance the timing.
X2. Most AC clutches need a vehicle specific puller to remove and install the AC clutch. It screws into the clutch and pulls and pushes off of the compressor shaft. You cannot do the job without the special tool. Maybe the auto part stores have a loaner for you. Good luck

Back