Is there an online calulator for

196158A

determining engine rpm vs speed? Using a 2.77 trans, 13" wheels and a 350:1 what is the engine rpm at say 65rpm?? As I remember it it sounds like it's abt ready to explode.
A little off topic but on my data plate the date code is 26F does this = June 26th of 1960? Car is a '61 model yr.
The 200cid is coming tomorrow so I'll have a gaggle of nubie stupid question!!! Got the book the other day good read but wish it had color pic's.

Tnx much for entertaining my questions!
Terry

"... color pic's...."
try big blue bx @ above 'tech archive'...the crossed screwdriver'n wrench.

There R online caculators...plug in wheel sz (actual hight in inches), transmis gears, rear end gears, hit the "caculate button' & vola' a # pops out. We use em to select ring'n pinion, big meats 4 off roadin, transmissions, new transfer gears, etc. Google is ur friend (can't B membah their exact names).
Whaddaya need it 4?

Yes 26F = June 26, 1960 would make your car a very early production 1961 model. Good luck (y) :nod:

So it looks like top speed is going to be abt 75mph @ abt 4000rpm. W/the 144 I never drove it more that abt 65 mph and that seemed like I was pushing fairly hard, it liked 50-55 just dandy not so much for the drivers around me.
The reason I asked abt the production date is that the unit # 163460 so it's the 63,460 unit built. Just seem like a lot of units for such an early date.

Tnx!
Terry

Obtw I have the opportunity to get a '68 mustang I6 diff, does it make good sense to get it?? The the width compatible w/the old falcon? Bolt in w/o fab work? Seem like the ratio maybe a little better for speed/fuel.

Terry

It depends on when the change over from 1960 models to 61 models where. What is the Vin number on your car? Back in those days many unsold cars from the previous year were sold as the next years model too. When I worked at the Pico Rivera Ford assembly plant as an example on the big Ford cars the 1974 to 75 change over was late June we shut down the plant for two weeks and then started building the 1975 models. The 68 Mustang rear axel is wider than your Falcon and would need narrowing but if the gears are from a 7 1/4 then they could be installed in your axel. Good luck (y) :nod:

After playing w/that speed vs rpm calculator I found that bumping up the tire size gives a little better speed too. The 15" wheel gets me up to abt 63mph @ 3000rpm which is + 5mph difference from using the 13"wheels.
Not really set up to do any fab work and want to keep the costs down. The mustang diff is free but if it doesn't fit I'd rather let it owner dispose of than have me trip over it for a yr of two just to scrap it.
Sorry hadn't really thought of all the different ways to skin a cat.

Terry

If the free Mustang diff is the correct one to supply the ratio you need, and fit in your housing, that would probably be the lowest cost way to get your highway rpms down. And you might be able to sell the original diff minus gears to someone as these parts are getting hard to find. The gears too. Another way to go is an od trans but if you are restoring then probably not an option.

& lastly transmish (T5 any1?), now we've covered all the bases.
Do the 15s fit (lug/wheel well)? Thasss da cheepest/easiest, no?

Back