Operating temperature

tdlund

Hey guys. I finally got around to take my falcon out for a longer drive today. The temperature gauge was ready high to me an was fluctuating a bit on the high side depending on if I was going down hill or up hill. I didn’t see any coolant spewing out. I don’t have a fan shroud. I do have a condenser in front of the radiator, but is not hooked up at the time. Here’s where the gauge reads on a flat road and the outside temperature around 75* what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 78FFB4B8-5F28-4B8B-B39E-BFC096148CFF.jpeg
    78FFB4B8-5F28-4B8B-B39E-BFC096148CFF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
That picture shows what would be considered in the normal operating range. (y) :nod:

Hi, probably not too high but...you could have trouble in late summer. I would check the timing because of the timing is off the engine can run hot. If you can put your hand on the radiator you can feel for cold spots, indicating clogged tubes.
Often you can't really trust the gauge, so if you have a point and shoot digital thermometer you can see the temperature at the thermostat outlet, and you can check the temperature at different spots on the radiator. The radiator should be hotter on top and cooler near the bottom. Good luck

I will double check the timing. I think I set it at 20* because it liked it there. I am worried about when it gets hotter outside this summer.

Does anyone have a aftermarket radiator that they’re happy with?

Howdy tdlund and All:

It looks like you are getting a gentle wake-up call for when the weather gets hot this summer. To be more ready, I have questions- Is your car an auto trans or manual? What year and engine? What is the condition of the radiator, coolant, and hoses? Has this radiator ever been taken apart and cleaned/rodded/cored?

It sounded like your drive was at hiway speeds. How fast? Any load? any difference compared to city driving?

The slight fluctuation would cause me to check the accuracy of the temp gauge.

Keep the info coming.

Adios, David

Motor is 170 1964 + on the year because it’s got 5/16 distributor shaft. Tranny is a T5. The radiator was in the car when I got it, so the real condition of it is unknown. Coolant is brand new mixed 50/50. When I pull off the radiator cap I do see signs of scaling floating in the coolant. I’m leaning towards getting a three row radiator.

When I was driving it, I was running around 75mpg with some hills and down hills. The gauge almost maxed out on a big hill but when I pulled over there wasn’t anything coming out of the overflow.

Also, it has new hoses and heater hoses.

where R U located?

Drain thru a filter, fill w/H2O and flush product. Follow directions. Do 2 X.
If possible on 2nd time reverse flow.
After 2nd (again if possible) put a hose in, leave petcock open, watch flow (as motor runs) out petcock, 2 C if clean.
Replace the filtered 2 gal.antifrez/anti boil & place in a new thermostat/gasket.

Change antif/anti boil every 3 - 5 yrs...
I like my copper, may have to go 302 radiator when the 250 is running. If so hope I can avoid alu...

Thanks

So I took it out on the highway again today. I reconnect my afr gauge and found out that I’m running really lean at cruise, mid 16. That definitely isn’t helping the situation.

Also my valve cover gasket is leaking again. I feel like I have the bolts pretty tight on it. So I guess the next step is some kind of sealer.

I live in northern Colorado Springs

:unsure: m Install too tight and it will also leak because the gasket is being pushed out of place.
Try to find one of the rubber gaskets,they seem to work the best for me.If you use gasket cement,just use it to stick the gasket to the valve cover.Makes for much easier cleanup for new gasket,and you won`t a bunch of crap to clean off of the head and risk missing some and it get into the crankcase.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

I've always wondered if there is a thermostat recommending resource anywhere where I can input my location, engine, etc and get the correct T-stat? I've googled, and haven't found much, especially related to our little Sixes.

Not to thread jack, but any recommendations for mine? 1968 200ci block with stock head (for now - have a 78 250 head being worked on now). Located in Cincinnati, OH with hot summers (90-100 with high humidity) and cold winters (0-30 degrees), ~500ft above sea leve, c4 auto, usually no more than 1-2 people in the car with lots of stop and go driving, limited expressway.

Thoughts on 160, 180, 195?

Cheers,
Matthew

Update

I ran some radiator cleaner through the radiator. What came out wasn’t to bad. Filled it back up with coolant and my gauge still gets really high going up hills.

Howdy All:

Matthew- Here in Idaho with hot summers and cold winters I used a 180 degree thermo in the summer and 195 in the winter. Also changed oil to seasonally appropriate weight oils. Stock radiator was rebuilt and new hoses all around.

tdlund- I'd check the accuracy of the stock heat gauge first thing. What carb are you using?

Adios, David

I’m running the Weber 32/36

It’s 80+ degrees today.

What is a good way to check the actual temperature?

Infrared temp gun on the thermostat housing or top hose. You could also check it at the sending unit.

CZLN6":2xo0797t said:
Howdy All:

Matthew- Here in Idaho with hot summers and cold winters I used a 180 degree thermo in the summer and 195 in the winter. Also changed oil to seasonally appropriate weight oils. Stock radiator was rebuilt and new hoses all around.

tdlund- I'd check the accuracy of the stock heat gauge first thing. What carb are you using?

Adios, David

Thanks, David.

For oils - would that correlate to 30W in summers and 10W-30 in winter?

Hi, slow down! The oil viscousity is not the issue. Pick a good quality oil and stay with it.
I am a Castrol GTX 10W 40 guy from way back.
I am not such a neanderthal that I don't use 5W 30 Synthetic in my late model.
I change my classic car oil every spring, regardless of mileage ( less than 2000 / year ).
I have no run hot issue a but it is usually a timing issue or clogged radiator.
I go with a 180 thermostat.
Good luck

tdlund":1mhd03o7 said:
Update: I ran some radiator cleaner through the radiator. What came out wasn’t to bad. Filled it back up with coolant and my gauge still gets really high going up hills.
exhaust flowin free?
thermostat good? (throw it in some hot water w/a thermomiter to ck what temp it snaps open).
OR
a cheep gage aimed @ radiater
OR
a real dash guage rather then idiot lght, needle.
(both as said above).

I retarded the timing about 3 degrees and took it out on a drive for over a 100 miles. This might sound crazy but it seemed like it was running a little hotter.

I’m going to bump the timing back up. My car is loud that I’m wondering if I could hear pinging if I set the timing to high.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Back