New build won't start? Timing? Want to sell me a timing set??

theman1990

So after several years of rebuilding this 200 (seriously, i've been slowwwwwwwwwwly working on this thing since 2015) I FINALLY went to start her up last night for the first time annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd..... Not happening :( I've verified that all three Weber's are getting fuel, pressure is at 3psi per Weber specs, jets are correct enough that it should run with minimal tuning. I verified multiple times that it's at TDC and distributor is in correctly, have even pulled a plug to make sure there IS spark (there is). It's a new distributor and coil (electronic) that I ran just before pulling the engine so I know it's wired correctly.

That said, when I crank it, it backfires and sputters and lights gas in headers on fire, doesn't even come close to catching and running. It acts like the timing is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY off. I've even gone so far as to reset the timing 180 degrees out and retry, EXACT same sputters and backfires. I'm coming to conclusion that the builder put cam in wrong (build by a reputable shop here that usually does very fine work.) It's the only thing I didn't do myself and didn't visually see as they buttoned it all up. Anyone have any ideas? Any way to verify the cam may be off by a tooth before I yank this whole thing back apart??

Also, if anyone has an adjustable timing set they want to sell, I'm interested!! Vintage Inline's is outta stock :(

Pull the valve cover.

Turn the crank clockwise until #1 exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is beginning to open.
When both the intake and exhaust valve is open the same amount the timing mark on the harmonic balancer should be just before or right at TDC depending on how much the cam is advanced.

The distributor rotor should also be pointed at #6 on the distributor cap.

Which cam do you have?

Got it sorted... Set adjustable rockers as specified but once the lifters pumped they hung all the valves open... Reset adj after priming and she finally started!

Back