Operational minimums/maxinums

65coupei6

Famous Member
Staff member
VIP
I have seen some posts over time asking, how hot should my engine run. Or, does this oil pressure sound right.
I know there are differences between builds. But, should we make a sticky with some #'s?
Any other info to include?

"...this oil pressure sound right..."
Wha...? Oh, I C - it's a sample/example Q.

Like any system, different prts do well w/different conditions.
Air coming in - way colder than exhaust @ the valve being hot goin out - is good.
I posed the Q @ 1 point w/o realizing this.
It would B incorrect to state one temp is best 4 the whole.

However, it is helpful to focus on 1 'over all' temp as in: the H2O as it moves frm the water jacket thru the water neck @ thermostat. Here we some control & some ability to sample/test.
As has been asked "What's the best temp thermostat to use?" Some here change it out 2X a yr (summer v winter) in climes w/significant variability. In my mind a good test would B to test several in the drag context. Measure times and fuel consumption for different temp 'stats?
How bout an enduro - same place of measurement but may B add the plug condition?
:unsure:
:rolflmao:

I think this would be valuable to have sticky-d. I've asked myself as well. I think the following would be helpful:

Thermostats and General Temperature Information
[*]Ex: 160 Degree Thermostat for hot, humid environments, 190 for etc etc etc...
[*]Being able to hook up ancillary temperature gauge settings (back of the block and thermostat housing/outlet)

Oil Pressure General Info
[*]Cold Pressure Ranges (ex: 40-60psi)
[*]Hot/Idle Pressure
[*]Pressure that increases with RPMs and calculations
Realizing there is so much variability, but it could be a place to go for information on questions such as "is my oil pressure ok"

Good suggestion, Marco. I'm with ya.

Cheers,
Matthew

EDIT: i realize i basically repeat mostly whats been said already

I think the hardest part about trying to put up that kind of information is that everyones vehicle is different, different stages of built and different levels of wear and even oil viscosity, all of these can effect things like oil pressure and how hot the engine runs. Plus changes in parts between vehicles can change how hot they run, plugs, water pump, thermostat (not a big change from this), radiator size and condition. Its hard to set a base line on whats "normal" other than hot is too hot and too little oil pressure it too little. The biggest thing is making sure people understand the theory behind how these parameters are reached. Things like the common misconception that a cooler thermostat makes a car run cooler. It doesnt, it just opens the thermostat sooner thus extending the amount of time it takes the engine to get to the temp it is going to reach. If an engine over heats itll do it even without a thermostat in the car itll just take much longer for it to get to that point. It would be cool if we could find some factory info for these kinds of specs direct from manufacturer. I suppose that we be an "accurate" base line to start with.

there R "normal" ranges 4 both.
U could state the top'n bottom of those to get Ur "min/max",
list the conditions under which those occur.

Is there other items U want in that list? ie tire pressures? RPMs? fuel pressures, etc?
That's what some call specs...?
:arrow:

Back