Blown valve seals

JackFish

2K+
VIP
I may have one or more seals blown. Got some oil on startup and whatnot.
These are the viton type installed when I had the head rebuilt.

I have a few of the old rubber? style and am wondering if it's ok to use these instead of the viton style.
I believe the spring seat was machined to accommodate the newer seal?

In that case yes you can use either type seal if you want. Good luck (y) :nod:

just seekin clarity:
thought these were different than the older "umbrella" style?
That the machine process he went thru cut away that area in head...

I guess this means the new style (vitnon) can fit 'both' but can the ol umbrella fit the new machinin?

chad":2pdhl7jg said:
just seekin clarity:
thought these were different than the older "umbrella" style?
That the machine process he went thru cut away that area in head...

I guess this means the new style (vitnon) can fit 'both' but can the ol umbrella fit the new machinin?

Yes for sure they are different then the stock umbrella seals. It's the Opposite, to be able to use the Viton Valve Guide Seals requires that the outside diameter of the valve guides be machined smaller so the Viton seals can be pressed on. Stock umbrella seals fit with or without that type machining. :nod:

thnx
godid now...makes more sense'n I do/did...
Didn't C how machinin material away could fit sompin smaller (the new).

Having a little trouble with the spring compressor.
It just pulls up on the spring and not down off the retainer.
I tried tapping it a bit but didn't want to get carried away.

JackFish, the Valve keepers are probally sticking in the retainers. I have taken them apart using a deep socket and hammer, a good rap or two will usually pop the valve keepers right out. If you do that though with head on the engine make sure the piston is at TDC and or use air or the old cotton close line trick. Good luck (y) :nod:

Not to highjack this thread but I'm glad this came up. I was talking with my machinist about cutting the guides for viton seals and he told me I should only use them on the intakes. Does anyone do that? He told me his reasoning but I don't remember the reason exactly. It had something to do with the vacuum of the intake valve, but I don't remember why he didn't want to do it on the exhaust. Maybe it was they wouldn't last as well?

Yeah the keepers are stuck in the retainers.
I'll try a good tap or two tomorrow before I try again.

And my head has the viton seals only on the intake valves, but I don't remember why. :LOL:

Hi, if the spring is compressing but the retainers and keepers won't budge you can tap the retainer with a punch. Mine needed a pretty good shot to loosen them. I also find a small magnet is needed to pick up the keepers off the valve stem. By the way, what are you doing to keep the valve from falling? Rope or compressed air? Good luck

Rope yesterday because I put my air adapter down somewhere and spent too facking much time looking for the damn thing... :x

JackFish":gwb2gdwq said:
I am using one like the last on in the video but it's sticking.
And oddly enough, in that video he doesn't set that one properly squared up. :stick:
Didn't watch. Just wanted to send something 4 ya.
Now I look (thnx 2 U) I C there's a way to doem while still on the motor. Never knew that. Now I C
Y 'the rope trick' or 'compressed air'.
(y)

Econoline":zqqme1zg said:
Not to highjack this thread but I'm glad this came up. I was talking with my machinist about cutting the guides for viton seals and he told me I should only use them on the intakes. Does anyone do that? He told me his reasoning but I don't remember the reason exactly. It had something to do with the vacuum of the intake valve, but I don't remember why he didn't want to do it on the exhaust. Maybe it was they wouldn't last as well?

Yes for sure most often the Viton seals are only used on the intakes which would give you the most benefit. Over the years I have seen heads set up with the Viton (way back the Perfect Circle type) seals being only on the intakes but also on both intake and exhaust. From what I remember on the theory part of it is that they worked the best on street use type engines, on the intake guides by increasing the Vaccum plus also cutting down on oil fouling contamination in the combustion chambers. Also that since the exhaust guides ran somewhat hotter and a little bit looser so it's thought that a little extra oil was needed to help keep the exhaust valve guide wear down. Often back in the distant past when setting up the mid 1950's early 60's brand X (Chxxy) 265, 283 V8 heads I even left off the stock exhaust guide seals these were only a square cut O ring, the Ford umbrella seals are far superior to these so in some cases used them in other engines too. Most of the heads that I did set up with these Viton seals or worked on that were already using them were on the intakes. When I did use the Viton seals on both the intake and exhaust guides these were on dedicated drag race engines. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thank you bubba that was it! He said some oil was a good thing for the exhaust valve.

I thought an update was in order.
My air tool for holding the valve open turned out to be a piece of junk and leaked at the swivel.
So I ended up using rope again to hold the valve up.

The tool I first used was like the last one in the video and it fell apart and was a piece of junk.
So don't buy one. :LOL:
I then used a Lisle tool which is well made but awkward to use.
The other issue is the little feet that press on the retainer are not located well and tool tends to slip off to one side.
16750c_BD5C43E01122A.jpg

So I found a large washer and drilled out the center to place on top of the retainer, which worked like a charm. :idea:

The viton seal looked undamaged but was flopping around.

Back