200, 240 or 250? I can't figure out which engine this is.

FletcherSyntax

Trying to get to the bottom of which engine I have in my 1970 E100 Van.

What I know:
The head is marked as a 69 Falcon
The intake and head are integrated (one piece)
It has 5 freeze plugs

Is this a 240? Did Econoline's come with 240's? Did they make a SB 250?

Thanks everyone!

*I mistakenly posted this in the bigger block forum cause I didn't know this was a small block.

FletcherSyntax":ft7mrnd5 said:
Trying to get to the bottom of which engine I have in my 1970 E100 Van.

What I know:
The head is marked as a 69 Falcon
The intake and head are integrated (one piece)
It has 5 freeze plugs

Is this a 240? Did Econoline's come with 240's? Did they make a SB 250?

Thanks everyone!

*I mistakenly posted this in the bigger block forum cause I didn't know this was a small block.

If it has an integral head and intake it's not a 240! It's likely a small Ford Six and probably is a 200 cu. in.

Now To tell if it's a 200 or a 250. They both will have 5 freeze plugs though the 250 block is a little taller. A 200 has 3 bolts holding its water pump on the block while 250 has 4 bolts holding the water pump to the block. I don't remember that the 250 was ever a factory option for the Econlines, but yes the 240 big block six was offered in the Heavy Duty Econolines in 1965 up. A 240 looks totally different from the small Ford Six'es and has a bolt on removeable intake manifold. Good luck (y) :nod:

or a 170, so many of them, no?
"The head is marked as..."
U mean the castings begin "C9xxx"?
or is that the "junk yrd's" paint pen ID"?

Get "the Handbook" (frm member Matt at vintageinlines dot com) & while waitin for delivery C
the big blue box above (crossed screwdriver'n wrench) for more on these neat motors...ID which is which,
hop up, and much much more!

Seth is one of our members here w/this vehicle goes by "Econoline'.
(just 4 fun - have U been 2 'vantage' the big 3 van's on-line presence?)
He just put ina 250. Besta my knowledge they never came in the van.
144 & 170, may B 200, not sure...

make sure on bell/motor so as 2 get right clutch!

:nono: Well no sorry :shock: a 170 isn't likely to be in a 1970 (Second Generation) Econoline at least not from the factory! Also remember that :idea: the 144's & 170's engine blocks will only have 3 freeze plugs too, not the 5 that the OP stated in his above post. You can check that info out in the above Tech section ;) . :nod:

:D on second thought if it's a Second Generation Econoline (the 1968 to 1974) then it really shouldn't have any of the small Ford Six engines :banghead:! If your sure by the Vin Tag info that it's a 1970 E100 then only engines they orginally came with were the big six'es 240 and 300's plus the 302 V8's. So you might have somebody's Hi-Bred swap to a small six. Good luck (y) :nod:

So this conversation is exactly why I came here. Just to be clear, I've done a ton of research before I asked you guys and everything you just wrote about is why I made the OP. Most of the second Gen Econoline's definitely had Big Block. The Vin tag definitely states its a 1970, also, the obvious body style makes it the Gen 2.

The casting on the head reads its from a 69 Falcon and it definitely does have 5 freeze plugs. Part of me is glad you guys are confused as well. I feel less stupid now.

The motor mounts look stock to me. If they were re-done, it was an excellent cover up job.

It really does seem like someone dropped an older falcon engine in this van but I find that very hard to believe.

Another way to distinguish a 200 from a 250 is the starter location.
A 200 has the starter above the oil pan flange.
A 250 has the starter below the oil pan flange.

The 250 also used the same bellhousing as the 302, and the same size flywheel/clutch
although the flywheel is neutral (zero) balanced.

Hope this helps.

no confusion here but ur vehicle might B
:eek:
ID by castings (no thing else such as vin, other id tag/stamping).
U seem 2 know where the head's is, just incase - the blocks is
further down on pass side near dwn tube frm exhaust.

"Get "the Handbook" (frm member Matt at vintageinlines dot com) & while waitin for delivery C
the big blue box above (crossed screwdriver'n wrench) for more on these neat motors."

"...dropped an older falcon engine in this van ..."
I got 2 dipsticks in my bronk, 1 each side, same reason. Pre '83 when I aquired,
same swap in but the bronk oil pan (rear sump) wuz placed on so as to have 2nd stick...

the base engine in the 68-74 econolines was the 240, with the 300 and the 302 being the optional engines.

the 240 was available in first gen econolines starting in 1966 i believe as an optional engine. those econolines were also called falcon vans.

rocklord":3ejxe63z said:
Another way to distinguish a 200 from a 250 is the starter location.
A 200 has the starter above the oil pan flange.
A 250 has the starter below the oil pan flange.

The 250 also used the same bellhousing as the 302, and the same size flywheel/clutch
although the flywheel is neutral (zero) balanced.

Hope this helps.
Dan, you are forgetting about the 200 big bell...Looks like a 250 302 just the 2 top bolt holes are about 1'' lower, it comes factory with a 11'' style 164 flex plate so it must be big.

Based on the location of the starter, the alternator mount, the photo of the bellhousing and the locations of the oil and temp sensors, fuel pump and distributor, I'm going to say this is a 250.

X2 Yes it looks like some body swaped in a 250 engine in place of the factory engine! The Vin Code numbers would tell you what engine your Econoline originally had before. Good luck (y) :nod

The block casting codes can tell what year block you have and the head casting numbers also. You may want to pick up a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook to look up the codes and get valuable information on maintenance, tune up and performance mods for the 170/200/250 sixes.

If it hasn't been replaced it's a 170, solid cam. For whatever reason, they didn't really put 200's into E-100's. Supposedly there were a small number of them installed in the '65 model year only. It was a factory option. With 5 freeze plugs it's most likely the 170 was replaced with a mustang 6 at some point which is most often the case when an engine get's swapped. Why not go to a 200 and so on. Honestly, if the motor is shot, you're best bet is to cannibalize a 240 van and put a 300 in there with whatever transmission you want. Those 2nd gen vans are alot heavier than the early ones. You could get a 250 in there to w/ what you've already got. It'd take a little work on the motor mounts and you'd need a different transmission. Or a 240 e-100 transmission if you wanted a bolt in.

Does the van have a 9" rear end?

So the general consensus is that is a 250 and not the original engine, which makes a ton of sense.

Now I have to make a tough decision cause I got a 302 V8 out of a 72 Econoline that I think is in decent shape.

I kind of like the gas milage on that 250 though.

FletcherSyntax":3knyry6q said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll check tomorrow and finally be able to order the clutch for this thing.

Is a clutch all you need to get it back on the road? If so just get a clutch for a 1970 Econoline with a 240 engine and you will be good to go. Good luck (y) :nod:

bmbm40":y2ub1433 said:
The block casting codes can tell what year block you have and the head casting numbers also. You may want to pick up a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook to look up the codes and get valuable information on maintenance, tune up and performance mods for the 170/200/250 sixes.

http://www.mustangtek.com/index.html is a good place to look up casting numbers for Ford stuff

Back