Bolt, Stud, Gasket Recomendations

Reinking

Getting ready to have the head on my 170 rebuilt and want to make sure I have all the parts to reassemble when it is done. I have been reading and it seems that studs for the head and exhaust are perfered over bolts for more even and consistent torq. Am I correct on this? I have found the stud sets on Vintage Inlines but am looking for exhaust manifold stud recommendations for manifold stud sets. Also was interested in opinions for both head and exhaust manifold gaskets. Car is going to be a daily driver with a few easy modifications to increase horsepower, mainly new ignition.

Thanks

If you want studs for the exhaust manifold you can get many at your locale good auto parts sources like NAPA and many hardware stores too. The idea studs to look for would have the course threads for going into the head bosses with a fine thread on the outer side You use to be able to get brass hex head nuts in fine thread which worked great for exhaust systems. Use some Anti Seize on the threads so that if you ever needed to take it apart again at a later date you could without breaking them. As for gaskets my faveriote for many years has been FelPro though there are some other good ones too. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi, studs to secure the head are not necessary. ARP headbolt sets are available from Vintage
Inline and they are really nice. And use nice washers too. Most of the time I just reused the old head bolts.
If you want exhaust manifold studs I guess you can find them. I just get the correct ones in grade 8 and use never sieze.
I also use the exhaust studs Bubba mentioned. I think they are a Dorman brand, 3/8 kit with brass nuts.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook. To get the most out of your Ford Six.
Good luck

Back