67 Mustang - Tuning Autolite 1100

Do you have the hot air stove line hooked up from the carb's choke housing down to the exhaust manifold?

Well if you wanted the choke to actually work as it was designed to do then yes this would be wrong. If you can live without the choke working then I guess that's what you could do as a crutch. It Sounds to me like your carb is in a real need of a good rebuild. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":w3y02p9u said:
Do you have the hot air stove pipe line hooked up from the carb's choke housing down to the exhaust manifold?

Well if you wanted the choke to actually work as it was designed to do then yes this would be wrong. If you can live without the choke working then I guess that's what you could do as a crutch. It Sounds to me like your carb is in a real need of a good rebuild. Good luck (y) :nod:

Bubba its a braaaand new autolite 1100 from rockauto i bought it myself

Also does it effect my cars running a little rough at times?

thestang":25u75cer said:
bubba22349":25u75cer said:
Do you have the hot air stove pipe line hooked up from the carb's choke housing down to the exhaust manifold?

If the carb is new then the choke should have been set to factory specs at the time it was built and should have worked as it was designed too. So the question is why did you need to change the setting? It might though it's not easy to say without seeing, hearing and or testing of how your engine runs. Have you done a compression test on your engine recently? Good luck (y) :nod:

thestang":347n3hy6 said:
Is there any type of conversion that would allow a one barrel to be a four barrel intake?

Not likely, only way is to build a custom one in like cutting off the log and building a new intake. :nod:

bubba22349":2b2ekqml said:
thestang":2b2ekqml said:
bubba22349":2b2ekqml said:

If the carb is new then the choke should have been set to factory specs at the time it was built and should have worked as it was designed too. So the question is why did you need to change the setting? It might though it's not easy to say without seeing, hearing and or testing of how your engine runs. Have you done a compression test on your engine recently? Good luck (y) :nod:

Bubba i went outside and recorded this video of how it currently running from start to turnoff.

https://youtu.be/-mvdQtnsgxs

(y) :unsure: to me it sounds like that engine is in fairly good condition, I couldn’t detect any shaking maybe because of your camera moving around to the different viewing items kind of fast. So if I am right I think we are back at doing a real good fine tuning of the engine. What type tune up tools do you have or that you can barrow to work with? Good luck (y) :nod:

sounds fine, a lumpy race cam, SCV, looked like it had the LOM hooked up...
Kinda wish U blipped the throttle frm under there 2 C if it had hesitation or bogged down.

What color smoke (if any) after 5 - 7 min of runnin?
Tell me again Y U wanna tune "further"? Noise?

chad":8qj5bw66 said:
sounds fine, a lumpy race cam, SCV, looked like it had the LOM hooked up...
Kinda wish U blipped the throttle frm under there 2 C if it had hesitation or bogged down.

What color smoke (if any) after 5 - 7 min of runnin?
Tell me again Y U wanna tune "further"? Noise?

Not sure what that means? Idk what LOM is

that may B prt of the problem.

I thought I saw some references to read "the Handbook" (avail frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com)&/or the "tech archive" at above big blue box (click on the crossed screwdriver/wrench). If not I'll refer U to them now. Even these ol girls R quite a technical system. No, no puters till the late 70s but still a handful to understand. I can attest to the danger of "a lill knowledge" an ol saying that applies here (spent $ I didn't need to, broke things w/ineptitude) but a start on one component in the system can B enlightening, fun, time'n $ saving and expanding for you. I know it has been 4 me.

#1 Just 1 suggestion is to look at everything U can (Look not change). Example: start vehicle, have some 1 place their foot on break (keep vehicle in 1 spot), put in gear, look under hood as motor cranks in its 'cradle' 2 C if wires, fuel line R being stretched, pinched, reverse/forward/reverse; turn wheel to that 1 side'n C what changes under hood as this is "the condition". These indicate loose/worn motor mounts, one of many, many issues possibly causing yer problem. Think "50 yr old car" what can B worn out? It's a puzzle that can entertain if having a particular attitude.

(Carbs R seldom what many of us want straight frm the seller. Most of us rebuild them right outta the box. Try as advised for the 'float' and "needle'n seat" if seeking to get goin on something here).

Howdy thestang and all:

LOM- Load-o-Matic distributor. The early distributor with a vacuum triggered, load sensitive advance system. Is functions in conjunction with a Spark Control Valve (SCV) in the 1100 carb.

I noticed in the video that you have an exhaust header. The hot air stove line to the choke is just hanging in the vicinity of the header tube. That may not provide enough heat to the automatic choke coil to get the choke to function properly- as in open in a timely fashion. Make sure that the choke is getting enough hot air to work.

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

"...hanging in the vicinity ..."
place it against or wraped around the exh as it needs the heat
"...getting enough hot air to work..."
to B sent up into that area of the carb to open the choke when hot (w/in 5 - 7 min of 1st starting).
:nod:

:unsure: Ok so now you know why your choke isn't working (the hot air stove line isn't even hooked up) and you can get that fixed today with a little effort in an hour or two. See the below link for a simple choke repair kit to fix it, their available at many of the local auto parts stores. Or you could also make your own by getting a lenght of brake line tubing and coiling it around one of the center header tubes a few turns to accomplish getting warm air up to the choke housing. Then next return the choke thermostat back to the orginal setting and your all done, and ready to move on to the other fine tuning. Good luck (y)

Dorman Choke Repair kit for example

https://www.jegs.com/p/Dorman-Products/ ... 7/10002/-1

bubba22349":p70uheml said:
:unsure: Ok so now you know why your choke isn't working (the hot air stove line isn't even hooked up) and you can get that fixed today with a little effort in an hour or two. See the below link for a simple choke repair kit to fix it, their available at many of the local auto parts stores. Or you could also make your own by getting a lenght of brake line tubing and coiling it around one of the center header tubes a few turns to accomplish getting warm air up to the choke housing. Then next return the choke thermostat back to the orginal setting and your all done, and ready to move on to the other fine tuning. Good luck (y)

So if the even if i left the choke open that would still affect my drive?? Im confused

thestang":2v0r7vsn said:
bubba22349":2v0r7vsn said:

So if the even if i left the choke open that would still affect my drive?? Im confused

:shock: Ok now I am getting confused, in your above post #20 you had asked about the choke operation after looking at the video. I guess the real question I need the ask is if you want the choke to work or not? What are your other goals for the tuning of your 67 Mustang? But to try and answer this current question yes it affects your cars drivability, though only when the engine is cold. I can tell you with certainty that Ford would not have bothered to spent the money on designing the carb with a choke system plus the parts needed for it to operate if it wasn't really needed.

Additionally in the above posts I have asked you several questions yet am not getting very many answers its making it hard to know what you really want to do, that video was quite helpful though. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":27m09sd1 said:
thestang":27m09sd1 said:
bubba22349":27m09sd1 said:

:shock: Ok now I am getting confused, in your above post #20 you had asked about the choke operation after looking at the video. I guess the real question I need the ask is if you want the choke to work or not? What are your other goals for the tuning of your 67 Mustang? But to try and answer this current question yes it affects your cars drivability, though only when the engine is cold. I can tell you with certainty that Ford would not have bothered to spent the money on designing the carb with a choke system plus the parts needed for it to operate if it wasn't really needed.

Additionally in the above posts I have asked you questions yet am not get many answers it making it hard to know what you really want to do, that video was quite helpful though. Good luck (y) :nod:

I get it but my choke is wide open all the time. How should it be? Loose?

chad":3lohlspb said:
that may B prt of the problem.

I thought I saw some references to read "the Handbook" (avail frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com)&/or the "tech archive" at above big blue box (click on the crossed screwdriver/wrench). If not I'll refer U to them now. Even these ol girls R quite a technical system. No, no puters till the late 70s but still a handful to understand...
Do some reading if U want to work on this and can't get going w/hands on attempts. In fact, as recommended above - U must do some reading to become acquainted w/the basics. I had to - just to know the right questions to ask. They R great references. The 'tech archive' above started this site and 'the Handbook' is written for folks just like U'n me (& ur exact rig).
Again, it is a technical system (different components w/their own rules/intracacies grouped together into a larger system) that requires the individual to go above'n beyond the normal daily activity. As you may B able to tell at this point - there is a challange here. No need to reinvnt the wheel. Take some suggestions, try them, or give it to some 1 else to apply their own experience, skill, knowledge, time, tools and space. We can help but U hafta get some understanding on several of the components to utilize our help. Study how (read up on) a choke wrks or look at the pic to C what's inside a carb...

thestang":k98tr9fn said:
bubba22349":k98tr9fn said:
thestang":k98tr9fn said:

Additionally in the above posts I have asked you questions yet am not get many answers it making it hard to know what you really want to do, that video was quite helpful though. Good luck (y) :nod:

I get it but my choke is wide open all the time. How should it be? Loose?

The choke should be closed when the engine is cold and it slowly opens as the engines warms up. An auto choke like yours has a bimetallic spring inside the cover it is thermostatically controlled by the air temperature which determines how much the chokes is open or closed. The thermostat cover has an index line on it that is set to the V mark on the choke housing depending on how cold the weather gets in your area this setting could be 1, or 2 Lean, straight up, 1, 2, or 3, Rich I normally bench set mine to 2 Rich until I fine tune the carb. But until you fix the choke hot air stove line the choke won't work properly. When the choke is hooked up and working correctly it makes the car perform as it should during cold start running. Good luck (y) :nod:

"...inside the cover ..."
round black 'pill box" on back of carb.

Back