1/4th to 5/16th oil pump and inter. shaft?

falcon_master

Hi everyone. So one of the things I want to do as a eventual planned upgrade is ignition. Now know V.I has a 144 DUI dizzy but I'd rather get the 170/200 one so if I do swap out eventually I don't have to buy another one. Now I know 144s never had a 5/16th shaft so what I was thinking is what If I replace the current oil pump and shaft with these two summit items and bore out the dizzy hole a bit to accept the later more versatile 5/16 dizzy that way I can run a DUI or a 68 or up dual advance dizzy
Pump:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-224-41146

Shaft:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-is-65b

Doing that mod will allow you many choices of distributors.
I would not recommend the DUI for the small Ford Six. The main housing is a two piece unit which has produced shaft oil starvation. Some came with a rotor that bound up the advance weights. Also heard of many wiped distributor gears.
I recurve a real HEI which is a one piece housing & has none of the above problems. You can use a DS11 or use the small cap & you have a DS1. These are the best choices.

"...pull the engine ..."
U can go thru the pan w/engine in the vehicle. Don't do it now, but w/pan removed 1st thing U C is the pick up screen, it's tube connects to the pump. Y bother? Has it not pumped oil properly?

I'm not sure - looks like some guys say the larger dizzy bottom will fit ur lill 144, some say "No". U have to remove the dizzy, measure the very bottom of the shaft where it rides on/in the block.

To step up to a vast new world of options - U broach or rheem the bottom 'hole' out larger to the tolerance indicated for the DSII dizzy.
I would suggest U understand the process, know the tolerances and have another (w/much more experience) do the job as to not 'scrap' ur motor (or need a re-bush)...

Then source the dizzy (etc) & better carb.

I don't C the need for new OP/shaft. U can clean the current & diagnose by use of a drill & hex rod...observe/measure the amount oil it pumps, spin by hand and feel 4 wear, etc (is it an $80 item?)

This is an exercise in understanding. Until U have what U got runnin well U can not decide on nxt steps. Many (300K?) drivers have been very satisfied w/ur vehicle as is. 1st things 1st - then onto the more exotic, no?

No it's pumping a good amount of oil. I just thought to replace the shaft you had to replace the pump as well if I don't have to I won't. And about reaming the block if it's difficult I'll probably have someone do it. I just wanna conversation eventually because
A. There more readily available from what I've seen in online stores and even some local auto stores.
B. I have more dizzy choices.
C. Idk why but I kinda want that experience of pulling an old tired engine and giving it new life

this certainly would (DSII ingition, 170 or 200 carb). I don't have enuff experience of the carbs to offer a suggestion to match ur 144 (is that a 2.5L?).
Does the shaft need replacement w/this dizzy mod?

How close R U on a good steady running motor? Breaks would B next, may B along w/steer link check (for safety).
Run, then drive/stop SAFELY is all well B4 these mods, no!?!
:)

Howdy Back F_M and All:

As my Daddy would say, "you're taking a long step for a short gain". Your choice, but going to all that effort to upgrade the distributor in a 144 engine is questionable. I seem to recall someone was offering the DUI distributor for 144 engines. Have you checked them out?

Also, at one point you considered swapping engines to a 200. If you do that, distributor problem solved!

I seem to recall you mentioning that you might want to keep this 144 engine stock, or at least, stock appearing. If you decide to go that way, know that a solid, well tuned LoM ignition and SCV Autolite 1100 can provide good a good running engine. It will require regular maintainance, settings and no leaks.

AKT the LoM can be upgraded to eliminate points with the addition of a PetroniX Ignitor system for less than $100.

If you are set on doing the conversion to a later, large hole distributor on your 144, take notes and lots of photos comparing all dimensions and modifications.

Adios, David

turbo, turbo
:eek:

Back