144 induction question

falcon_master

Hey everyone I was just reading this article on mustangsandfords
http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/mu ... nce-guide/

And I noticed he said that all heads 144/170/200/250 bolt on to each other and said "it's a good idea to get acquainted with the 250ci cylinder head because of its bolt-on intake manifold" is this true. because then I'm thinking why don't I just slap a 250 head on and milo the head and deck the block to make up for compression losses and maybe I can see what I wanna do from there. I still have that 181 stroker in the back of my mind. (P.S in another thread I have a question going on what it takes to convert a 1/4 hex to 5/16th hex. Do I have to replace the pump as well or just the shaft).
Thanks everyone

he made the same mistake a lot of guys make in thinking the 250 had a bolt on intake. it is true that A 250 engine line has a bolt on intake, but those engines were sold originally in australia and new zealand. ford inlines sold in argentina also had bolt on intakes, and in both cases the heads to bolt o the US block, since those sixes were based on the US engine. the US 250 did not have a bolt on intake though.

when U "bolt" a "250 head" on a 144 block U "go in the wrong direction" for optimal Compression Ratio -
The smaller the combustion chamber the higher the compression (which U kinda want, in simple terms) which produces more "umph".

Oh ok see thanks for the info because to my knowledge only the 300 had a removable intake manifold. I'm going to try to start replying to posts more and helpe people out. At first I was convinced that a V8 was necessary but after reading and watching and bringing this thing back to life I'm in love with the nice little inline. And I've always been the word man out so why not be the wierd man out of Ford sixes and be the one who keeps his original 144 but mods the crap out of it eventually. But like I said I'll start another diy thread for small stuff like water pump, thermostat replacement and other stuff. It's more of to show you guys what I'm doing but I hope you all enjoy.
Jarod

Oh and a quick Q I never understood that and we so do I need to replace the pump as well or just the intermediate shaft to convert to a 5/16th dizzy.
Thanks

falcon_master":30zii6y8 said:
Oh and a quick Q I never understood that and we so do I need to replace the pump as well or just the intermediate shaft to convert to a 5/16th dizzy.
Thanks

you do need to change the oil pump when converting to the 5/16" drive shaft.

can he keep the p/u tube'n screen w/the OP change? I noticed different p/u tube diameters...

Back