144 to 170 easy?

falcon_master

Hi everyone so in the latest topic I made I saw responses saying that a 144 is in fact a good candidate and that I will be fine with my 4 main crank. Well me being the indecisive power hungry teen I am decided that if it's simple enough since I wanna pull the engine and rebuild it anyways if time and money allows that I would wanna throw in a 170 crank and rods. That's all right I could still use stock pistons and piston pins this would give me more power but still a very reliable bottom end as the stroke is only increased minorly. Feel free to correct me if im wrong. And as for the current state of the 144 it's not to happy. It runs but the carbs so screwed it doesn't really rev (probably timing as well) but my main thing is the blowby. Maybe it's just old engines but even after all the smoke and everything cleared up it's still puffing out the RDT and oil cap and judging by the 1 inch thick layer of grease on it it's had a hard life I kinda wanna pull it to make sure it's ok and it will last a 800 mile drive.
Thanks everyone

:unsure: We went through a lot of these early 4 main combos a month or two back :shock: you could reread some of your old posts for a little refresh. 200 crank stroker combo here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78197

As far as making a 170 yes it's easy all you will need the compleate 170 rotating assembly i.e. The 170 crank, rods, and pistions. Good luck (y) :nod:

Yes thank you I know I'm kinda repetitive. I would still kinda like to do the 181 but I'm worried that will ruin the revving potential with the increased stroke. Anyone have any thoughts on this

Yeah the 200’s will still rev very good too, though not like a 144. Good luck (y) :nod:

So lemme just double check this. For a 170 I need crank,rods, and pistons and for a 180 I need 200 crank , and rods with 144 pistons right? Thanks for the info. Right now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to gain the extra 20+ cubes. I like the 143 because no one really loves it there always thrown out for a 200 or whatever. I personally am more of a fan of the underdog.

Hi, do a compression test to find out the condition of your engine.
A lot of guys would go to the 200 because it is a bolt in, and they are available.
They are of course the biggest, besides the 250.
Other guys just build the one they have.
I think I said this before. Drive the car and get an extra motor to work on. The reality is it will take much longer and cost more to build an engine then you think, so I wouldn't take the car apart. If you pull the engine with out having a replacement engine to install the car will be sitting for a long time.
Good luck

build a cradle 4 the 144 in a shed/garage B4 the 200 arrives.
U can use it to ck out the 200, a 'test stand' (I run em on there).
Then when doin the swap U swap frm car to stand - stand to car.
Some wanna keep the motor (even if not drivin w/it) as it'll match original VIN...

Too many choices?
Just get thisun in it's best shape, answ comes after many mi of drivin...

Back