Correct Hydraulic Lifters for 144

falcon_master

Hi everyone. I've been making a list of all the things I want to do and all the things I need to do and how much all of this is gonna cost. Well one thing I want to do is rebuild my engine and maybe while im in there make it a 170. But that's a different story. What I'm asking is are these hydraulic lifters correct because they seem to look different to me then the ones the 64 falcon shop manual shows. Thanks everyone

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-jb-2083

It is very likely that your 144 block cannot support enough oil flow to pump up the lifters ! Does your engine have adjustable rockerarms presently ? If so, I'd bet you need a solid lifter cam....
As somebody who rebuilt a 144 back in the 80's and who's machine shop did install a hydraulic camshaft, I can say it didn't work. I'm not sure how long Ford continued to build 144's, but my '63 wouldn't work back then. I had to pull the cam and install a solid lifter cam, then it ran beautifully ( if anemic...)
DannyG

ill have to agree with danny im pretty sure all 144s had solid lifter cams and it was late 64 that they switched to hydraulic so 99.99% probability that you have a solid lifter cam shaft in which case you can get lifters from several places they are the same as the solid FE ford lifters

Ah well that's quite a big blow to me. I don't like having to adjust rockers alot. I will have to maybe look into another engine then. Thanks guys

Ford went hydraulic on all inline sixes in '63.

My '63 170 is hydraulic, and the '63 Falcon shop manual update shows hydraulic lifter adjustment process.

From factory, hydraulic lifters with adjustable rockers.

From the Ford Falcon shop manual:
"The 1963 144 and 170 engines utilize hydraulic valve lifter to provide zero lash."

Ford would not have gone back to solid lifters for '64.

It is possible that Summit just has a generic lifter photo, and not a photo of the specific lifter.

falcon_master":277vf6wn said:
Ah well that's quite a big blow to me. I don't like having to adjust rockers alot. I will have to maybe look into another engine then. Thanks guys
Its not that big of a deal dude. People lived with it for years and didnt worry about it. Every few thousand miles or few months take an hour and adjust them. I dont think its worth ditching b/c of that. My Stude has that and i dont mind one bit.

Honestly, solid lifters in this day and age are almost foolproof. I've got 'em in a straight six Dodge 230 engine and they are still smooth as silk 15 years after the rebuild. I haven't even checked or adjusted them once.
Don't be afraid of solid lifters !
DannyG

PS, Your rockerarms will tell the tale, if they're adjustable you've got solids. If they're not adjustable, you've got hydraulics. I doubt many hydraulic engines got adjustable rockerarms...

DannyG":2c87tgez said:
PS, Your rockerarms will tell the tale, if they're adjustable you've got solids. If they're not adjustable, you've got hydraulics. I doubt many hydraulic engines got adjustable rockerarms...

Not true on Ford sixes. Hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers. '63 170, '65 200, and my '72 250 ALL have hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers.

The OEM from Ford shop manual shows hydraulics with adjustables, and how to lash them.

Why does everyone think the factory shop manual DIRECTLY from Ford is BS???

I'm very close to being DONE trying to help anyone.

Someone always wants to trump-card factual info pulled directly from Ford publications.

Not true on Ford sixes. Hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers. '63 170, '65 200, and my '72 250 ALL have hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers.

The OEM from Ford shop manual shows hydraulics with adjustables, and how to lash them.

Frozen Rabbit,
Thanks for the clarification and education !
Never too late to learn something new,
DannyG

FR, the reason why most ignore the ford service manual in that sense is because a lot of people with engines post 63 claim that they are solid lifter blocks hence the overall distrust of that info, now ill be honest my 62 is 100% solid lifter with adjustable rockers past that i make no claims for everyone else only what has been told and shared by others

:shock: X2 yes it’s a fact that the adjustable rocker assembly’s were used on the first Falcon and Comet engines when Ford switched over to hydraulic lifters. Ford had the empty bin policy so that the older parts were used until they were gone. This policy was instituted by Ford Motor Company early on, I have seen it on the Model T’s & A’s the early year model builds are often quite different then late year builds of the same year model.

:banghead: Yes also a set of the factory repair manual’s should always be considered to be the very best authority on parts and assembly’s of original cars. Good luck (y) :nod:

DannyG":2vc2v5tt said:
Honestly, solid lifters in this day and age are almost foolproof. I've got 'em in a straight six Dodge 230 engine and they are still smooth as silk 15 years after the rebuild. I haven't even checked or adjusted them once.
Don't be afraid of solid lifters !
DannyG

Actually someome at some point put adjustable on my 200.

Back