144 build ideas

falcon_master

Ok thanks everyone for the info over the past few days. It's helped alot. So after reading into the falcon handbook I've got some ideas. I think I'm going to put a 170 rotating assembly in my 144 to get some basic extra cubes but still have great revving potential to me it's easier and cheaper than a 200 (when you factor shipping costs and the hassle of me having to get one) and has a shorter stroke for reliability and stress. I was thinking a 165° thermostat is that to cold or is that ok as in AZ we see 100°+ regularly. For the head I was planning a cheap porting job and depending on how much time and $ I have maybe either cutting off the log manifold and making a new intake or doing a 2V conversion what do you guys think. Then I will CC the heads and depending on if I keep it a 144 or go the 170 route mill or deck accordingly for the desired comp ratio (what's a good ratio for a daily driver but some minor performance, I want it to run on pump gas preferably 86 but I'll do 92). Then it's ignition system. I'm thinking about doing the 1/4 to 5/16th upgrade but I'm not sure. I might just get a 1/4th DUI from V.I. then depending if I have solid or hydraulic valve train get a different cam I was thinking class II cam which is a rougher idle and lower vacuum but I have a manual trans and no power accessories so I can take it. Any tips or advice like do I keep it 144 (and be that awkward huy who likes the underdog or go to 170) is appreciated thanks so much guys.
Jarod

may B the 170 so U can have AC dwn there in sun country?
I never had AC till in my 30s or 40s but didn't wear a suit to wrk till then (in WVa).
Keep the 144 in 'cosmoliene' or I'll take it...
:shock:

"...good ratio for a daily driver ..."
as close to 9.1:1 as possible?

Back