Is this a real 200 block?

falcon_master

Hi everyone I was looking on my local Craigslist and someone has post without a picture of what he says is a 200 six short block with the casting code C2DE. I didn't think there were 200 blocks in 62. Also I'm confused about something in the falcon hand book. It says the code C0DE is a 144 and C4DE is 170. My question is that confuses is because the second digit is the year how can you say a C4DE is a 170 because all that tells is it's a 64 falcon engine. Not trying to be mean. Thanks. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to go to a 170 or bite the bullet and go 200 it's just hard to find one or get it shipped.

I believe 'Handbook' lists - frz plugs, H2O pump bolts, bell (starter placement), not yr as ID.
(200 wuz '63 - 84)
(170 wuz '61 - 72)

Howdy:

Casting codes are easily misread. Sometimes the casting make for hard to read, as well as dirt and paint distorting the letters. Get more information and details on this engine. Details that Chad referenced. Was the casting reported from the head, exhaust manifold or the block?

And as a rare possibility it could be a very rare, from the earliest Fairlanes, where the first 200 appeared.

Adios, David

Thanks for the info everyone but sadly the post is gone now. Not sure what happened. Maybe it got flagged o don't Know guy was charging $500 anyway for just a short block. Stinks though because I want to do a 200 swap kind of but it's not practical for me as I don't have a vehicle capable of hauling an engine back home and shipping is $$$. So I think I'll do the 170 route. Thanks everyone

"... I'll do the 170 route..."
nuttin wrong wid dat!

Thanks Chad. I'll keep everyone updated. Got busy for a bit. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be uploading some videos.

Back