67 Mustang - Need info on an electric fuel pump

thestang

Hey everyone,

I was thinking about replacing my mechanical fuel pump for an electric one. Simply because i want to and will soon need the extra fuel pressure. Where can i get one?

I went online and bought a small low pressure one to add to the mechanical. Would that work?

Any advice would be awesome. I also want a high pressure fuel pump i dont want to settle for less. and how would i go about doing this.

If you're planning on going to efi and that's why you'll need one you should look into an in tank pump done proper with a baffle/reservoir or new fuel tank built for it like the ones from tanks inc. Once you know the pump you need for you future setup, get a pump to that spec like the right walbro for your application and then add in a pressure regulator near the engine to get you down to 3-6 psi for the carb. You could install your return line while you are at it if you're going to need one and get a regulator with a return.

Econoline":d08paz6v said:
If you're planning on going to efi and that's why you'll need one you should look into an in tank pump done proper with a baffle/reservoir or new fuel tank built for it like the ones from tanks inc. Once you know the pump you need for you future setup, get a pump to that spec like the right walbro for your application and then add in a pressure regulator near the engine to get you down to 3-6 psi for the carb. You could install your return line while you are at it if you're going to need one and get a regulator with a return.

Where can i get one and how would i change the fuel sending unit?

Also how would i plug the old mechanical?

What's your plan? You can pull the mech pump and put a block off plate on the hole. I think it's the same as the small block ford. You can get one from vintage inlines if you don't want to make one. The sending unit would be the same if you use an external fuel pump. The pump has to be lower than the tank. Still, when the tank gets low it will cavitate as the fuel sloshes around if you don't have a reserve tank or reservoir of some sort that feeds the pump.

otherwise:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd345.htm

Fuel injection requires different pump pressures depending on what system you are using. So you need to buy the right pump for your plan or intended use.

Econoline":y1ix46t5 said:
What's your plan? You can pull the mech pump and put a block off plate on the hole. I think it's the same as the small block ford. You can get one from vintage inlines if you don't want to make one. The sending unit would be the same if you use an external fuel pump. The pump has to be lower than the tank. Still, when the tank gets low it will cavitate as the fuel sloshes around if you don't have a reserve tank or reservoir of some sort that feeds the pump.

otherwise:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd345.htm

Fuel injection requires different pump pressures depending on what system you are using. So you need to buy the right pump for your plan or intended use.

I plan on staying carb. But will be adding a low profile hat and a turbo so i am going to need more fuel.

like the new sig and that link, Seth.
They have a 'fuel tank acess door' ready made for retro-fit into trunk or fl boards when wishing to ck a sending unit. We always gotta drop the tanks - this eliminates that hassel (in 3 sizes!).

OP - Eaglebrock has a sending unit to keep ur current system if going for tbi/carb swap.
If U just want more gas 1st ID "How much more" you need. The answer will B almost self evident as that more specifically targets need.

For instance U may B able to stay mechanical (safer) w/a Street Strip Carter.

Your design may seek a "blow thru", or not.
C our "Turbo" forum.

To be more accurate we would need to know what amount of power or fuel requirements you are going to need for you build up there are numerous different pumps. Knowing the pounds per hour or gallons per hour your engine will require will help. But just as an example of one (see the below link) it is a pump that I have used a number of times in the past for a carbed engine drag race car. Also you will need to run a bigger fuel line coming from the fuel tank to front of car I used to a minimum of 3/8 inch for a hi performance street car to 1/2 inch fuel lines (and in some cases duel lines and pumps) on my drag cars. Good luck (y) :nod:

Holley Blue pump.
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/h ... /overview/

Hmm would carter street strip give me enough PSI for a turbo kit? I also plan on using a fuel cell possibly.

" We need to know what amount...fuel requirements you are going to need for you build up (as) there are numerous different pumps. Knowing the pounds per hour or gallons per hour your engine will require will help determine..."

Example: 120 gal, 9 1/2 psi frm the Carter. That's alot, many here just mod the arm & throw em on.
Hundred, hundred'n ten bucks aint bad either.
Best part? They're mechanical.
Plez C our Turbo forum.

viewforum.php?f=22

chad":1pgs5wfb said:
" We need to know what amount...fuel requirements you are going to need for you build up (as) there are numerous different pumps. Knowing the pounds per hour or gallons per hour your engine will require will help determine..."

Example: 120 gal, 9 1/2 psi frm the Carter. That's alot, many here just mod the arm & throw em on.
Hundred, hundred'n ten bucks aint bad either.
Best part? They're mechanical.
Plez C our Turbo forum.

viewforum.php?f=22

Not sure yet. I only plan on running 7-10lbs on boost which isnt to much the street strip carter will be more then enough i believe. I am just trying to understand which one to buy.

Any chance you can link me one that would work for our cars?

I can't, need cfm at minimun:

viewforum.php?f=22

May B some 1 else can.

Another forced induction fan,,,

Getting a single ended non-return pump to work with varying pressure requirements may be more difficult then anticipated. Boost when using blow thru either FI or Carb needs the fuel pressure to follow or reference the boost levels.

Also for safety any electric pump needs an oil pressure switched power source ( with ign,/start bypass) in case of a fault/leak in fuel supply.

Draw -through turbo systems do not need boost-refenced fuel supply , just sufficient volume at atmospheric pressure.

I used the OEM mechanical pump with a turbo 250 draw-through system with good results. The current Supercharged (blow thru) 250 Maverick requires a boost-referenced fuel supply. I simply used the original fuel supply line and added a 3/8 return line from the necessary external boost-referenced regulator. Fuel pump is external inline electric at tank. The return line simply 'returns' the bypassed fuel to the filler tube passthru in trunk, necessary safety oil press.swx and power relay to drive pump.

This is not the most sophisticated or HiPo setup possible, but transformed a daily driver six into something completely different ..

haev fun

Powerband

You changed the whole perspective of what i am going to do now. I am going to go for belt driven instead only thing is how will i mount it? Maybe you want to share how you did yours?

Sounds likes the beginnings of your forced induction project. I'd recommend reading the 'bible' of forced induction, the Hugh Macinnes book: TURBOCHARGERS

https://books.google.com/books/about/Tu ... wyJ3_F4XMC

I am going to go for belt driven instead only thing is how will i mount it? Maybe you want to share how you did yours?

... I simply welded a SBF ribbed balancer pulley on the front balancer of the 200 and fabricated the SC brackets.. Sounds simple but as said: devils in the details ..

have fun

how bout the oe 'extensions' I've seen? Still too far back?

... getting too far from fuel pump discussion

SC is a centrifugal Vortech V2. A friend had a 'kit' on her Ford Lightning 5.0 Clone Pickup. Eventually with too much fun (BOOST) the 5.0 gave up the pistons, etc ... I wound up with the SC and she put a 351 NA in the PU. SC's like the Vortechs' or complete 'kits' show up on Ebay usually from a burnt 5.0. LS, Hemi etc...

haev fun

Back