Generator questions?

falcon_master

Hey everyone. I've been systematically going through the car getting stuff up to par one by one. Well I'll be honest with you the engine still runs like dog crap and is sputtering alot I think I really messed up the timing. I'm going to redo it. But one thing I noticed is the GEN light on. So I'm not recharging my battery. How do.i diagnose and fix this. Like can someone explain the system to me. What's the voltage regulator do and how do I polarize a generator. Thanks everyone. And a side question I got the wrong dual bowl master cylinder for my 2 cylinder conversion, I thought it was for front drums but it turns out it's for disc front. Will it still work with drums. Thanks
Jarod

The master clyinder will still work there is no proportioning inside the master clyinder itself what they are usually referring to when they say disc vs drum is the size of the reservoir disc systems require more fluid than drum so using a system setup for disc is fine for drums but dont use a drum system designed for disc as you could under normal operation run the master clyinder dry as it takes more fluid so you would have to be very vigilant. Secondly to polorize a voltage regulator is relatively easy just take some jumper wires from power and ground on the battery and run them to the power input and ground on the voltage regulator, this should be marked, as for the function of the regulator they convert the AC voltage produced by generators and alternators to a DC voltage thats usable for the vehicle and they control / limit the amount of voltage run through the system they also acted as a sort of power bus on older cars, running power to a few different outputs. They can be a "high" failure part so its usually suggested to replace as they are hard to test. It was one of the first things i replaced on my car when i first got it running.

different Q.

"...how do I polarize a generator...."
I think it only needs that on first use. Here's something frm those who know more'n me, a how to:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40198

"Polarizing a generator is telling the gen. how the battery is hooked up. Positive or negative ground. It is done by using a short piece of wire and touching the post coming out of the generator(which is connected to one side of the cutout switch, and holding the wire to the otherside of the cutout switch, for about 3 seconds. You will see a slight spark when you first touch the terminals. The wire on the other side goes to the battery and thus the generator sees which way current needs to flow."

Got that Mr. Baldwin?
C last paragraph...

Back