144 engine update

falcon_master

Hi everyone. Here is a video of me talking about my falcon. Just the highlights in case you can't understand me (my video is terrible lol)
1. I pulled the dizzy installed PerTronix ignitor and while looking at the #1 intake pushrod found where TDC on the compression stroke is and plopped it in at roughly 6° BTDC. This has fixed my ign. Problem.

2. My Generator is not charging the system. I think I will try polarizing it before I replace anything.

3. Now that it runs enough to rev a little I noticed some problems. Now in the video I couldn't get it to run long enough to rev up but it'll rev up really nice and fast up to about 2,000 RPM but after that it just flatlines and stops revving any higher and eventually coughs and stalls. I think this is a carb. Problem and a rebuild is needed.

4. If you listen carefully you might hear it. But to me (I might be crazy) it kinda sounds like a rod knock. I'm not sure though. It does have oil pressure but I have zero idea of the condition of the internal of the engine.

5. Starting issue still persists. Turns out the reason it wasn't cranking indefinitely with the new solenoid was a connection to the starter came loose. When I tightened it back snug it started cranking indefinitely again. And with the new solenoid no other electronics in the car work. I tried all different connections to make sure they weren't flipped. I put the old one back on and everything but the starter works now.

Here is the video

https://youtu.be/9XBjn-tTUNs

Seems like you've made some progress. Good on ya mate!

Polarize that Generator & I think ur 3/4 the way to a good charging system (1 minute prt of this whole shebang).
I C a compression test in ur falcon's immediate future...

Thanks 4 da update!

Closer!

Rebuild the carb, the spark control valve is probably not working at all, which would prevent the timing from advancing when revving it up. The rubber diaphragm in the vacuum pot on the distributor could be rotted as well. Pull the distributor cap, disconnect the vacuum line, manually advance the points plate and cap the vacuum hole with your finger, release the plate and see if it holds position. Vacuum pots don't hold up very well with years of sitting.

Put a timing light on it to get the actual timing set.

Without the ignition switch working to start it, it's probably not making the needed connections for the generator to charge either.

You may still have a bad starter solenoid i went through 3, count em 3 different new solenoids all from different manufacturers before getting one that didnt want to stick every time i turned the engine over. So that could be and issue still now the studdering issue definitely sounds to me like could be fuel, i ran my car without SCV connected on just mechanical advance for a week while i was waiting for a specific fitting to come in so i could make the line and it ran fine past 3500 so i would lean more towards not getting enough fuel.

X2 Yes not having the stock ignistion switch hooked up to the stock wiring harness is most likely why the Generator and other parts of the cars electrical system aren't working. X2 Yes the quality of many of the so called bargin auto parts soliods is suspect :shock: Yes but, those early 144, 170, and 200 engines with a LOM Distribitors (pre 1968 and or pre 1967 in Calif.) just don’t have any mechanical advance unit in the distributor. They are only have a vacuum advance system that’s controlled by the SCV on the carb. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back