Read my plugs please.

65coupei6

Famous Member
Staff member
VIP
How do these look? I was getting some smoke from the tailpipes. But, I am pretty sure it was the un-baffled valve cover. I just switched back to a baffled valve cover but have not driven the car yet. Plus, I only have a little over 200 miles on the new engine. So, the rings probably have not fully seated yet.

Do you guys think I should go hotter or colder on the plugs?

"...smoke...unbaffeled VC..."
that's not oil fouled plugs?

They look a little "cakey" to me on 4, 5 & 6. Rich or oil fouled. I think your gonna have to run the car with the old valve cover and look again. Are you getting alot of oil in the pcv? It could just be the rings @ 200 miles, what type of rings did you use and what was the bore finish? What kind of valve stem seals did you use, how you they look? Any pushed up to far? You'd think if anything 5 and 6 would look leaner not darker and cakey. They go from light to dark front to back, 2 looks the lightest.

I know I am running rich. That could be part of the plug color.

Just put in some Autolite 3926's. We will see how it goes. I know Mustang Geezer (Doug) was running the 3924's. But he has more compression than me. So, I figure a hotter plug would be better in my situation.

Marco, go with the hotter plugs & see how the plugs look after that.
Drop from 61 jets to 60's.
What is the orientation of your carb??
Take it out & drive it like you stole it. After each full throttle run, back off to let oil lube the cylinder walls.
If you are running plasma moly rings the bore should have been done with a 500 grit hone.
A real plus would have been to have the bores plateau honed to remove the high spots.
Need to get a wideband A/F test done. 14.5 cruising & 12.9-13.1 WOT.
If the cruise is ok & the WOT is rich you will need to do some metering block mods on the PVCR. Thats the orifices below the power valve.

Just an update.

I put in the Autolite 3926's, a hotter plug. I also swapped to a baffled valve cover. Car ran great. Drove it about 100 miles to and from a car show today. Just the baffled valve cover made a huge difference. Hardly found any oil in the catch can.

Now, I just have to make some baffles for the aluminum valve cover. I will start another thread for that.

Hi, I made a baffle for my stock Ford valve cover and it really works to keep oil from splashing up the filler neck. The draw back is to remember it fills much slower now. Good luck

I sold my Classic Inlines valve because of this poor copy.
If you raise the PCV 3" it takes care of the oil to the PCV valve.
In short is a good looking piece of junk.
You can install a baffle cause the bosses are cast into the cover.
But if you run a high lift cam with certain rocker arms there will be interference.
One solution is use double valve cover gaskets to raise the cover.
I sold mine & went to a stock Ford valve cover with professional built in baffles & have never looked back.
I can now mount the PCV in in its original position.

"... splashing up the filler neck..."
as seen in avetar...?
I think he means the rear (PVC end) altho frnt end could B used too.

We have a thread or 3 on adding the baffle. One was a glue job (JB Weld I think) nother brazed or non-thru bolt I think.
I was interested as the CI/VI 1 - looks good (& match w/carb hat) 2 me anyway. All seemed to use a lill 'bent plate' frm Summit or Jeggs for that very purpose~

Two gaskets still seems too low Bill. U try it w/the alu VC?

2 cork gaskets work well. I was doing that since I bought the cover. I was one of the guys who first got the aluminum valve cover from Mike. But, he forgot to mention that the casting inside did not clear the rockers. I found out the hard way.
I had to put the valve cover on my drill press and remove some material. Then finished it off with a dremel.

I used two gaskets just in case.

The easier but more expensive way to solve this is to have an aluminum spacer made. If Matt had them produced in bulk it probably would not be too expensive.

Back