Worst FUBAR I've done. Help!!

falcon_master

Hi everyone. I'm writing in extreme regret and humility right now. Well I just took a video after fixing the cooling system. The thing ran for 30 minutes without over heating :D . I was figuring the carburetor has to come off at some point might as well be now since I'm going to turn off the engine for awhile. Well it's going all smoothly but the choke picot point was stuck so I had to put the carburetor in half to wiggle the choke lever off the top half. Well I forgot about the check balls and those fell all over bit that's ok it's nothing compared to what comes next. Well I'm busy being upset about losing those I knock over the carb and one of the little tin shields fall INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!!!! I can't pull it out with pliers and it's not magnetic. I really don't know what to do. It's a big piece so I'm not worried about it going through a intake valve but it's a major problem. The intake is integral so I can't just remove it. I really don't want to remove the whole head. It'll add so much time and money neither of which I have. Can I remove one of those plugs on the front of the manifold and pull it out somehow. I'm so upset at myself right now. That's such an amateur mistake

can U still C it?
Seems like another excuse to get a new tool (that you'll need henceforth anyway). That's my
attitude (& I'm poor, destitute. Gotta alota tools tho :shock: :LOL: )
Get some needle nose plyers - nose bout 4 - 6 inches long?

Chalk it upto nerviousness (got flabergasted frm droppin ur balls?). This stuff happens all the time.
B gentil on ur self ("Worst FUBAR I've ever..."). If U can B easy on You, U may aviod the 'tin shield' drop.
(The 2nd thing happen cuz ur were excited re the 1st thing?). Sometimes our reaction to our reaction is
the worse. Relax. All things can B sorted (& the nxt avoided?).
(y)

make a small ball of duct tape, sticky side out on the end of a screwdriver, and a lesson learned......don't rebuild a carb in a field, on a fender....

Hi, I have used tape and grease to stick to parts for holding and retrieving.
I have a mechanics claw KD 2391.
I have a medical hemostat, or large tweezer from the drugstore might work.
I have used two long skinny screwdrivers as chop sticks.
Now you know why good mechanics cover the carb and intake and other openings on the engine with a clean rag after removing the parts.
Good luck

:unsure: Over the years,I`ve had to do some real"Redneck engineering"to get stuff done.One episode involved a piece of stiff wire and a piece of chewing gum.Worked a treat. :rolflmao: :rolflmao:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just still can't believe I did that lol . Ill try a few of your guys advice, But besides that there's been a lot of progress actually. Now I'm seeing a lot of signs this engine is tired though. I'm going to have to do a comp. Check and maybe a camera down the spark plugs holes and see how the bores look. If not my fall back plan is a 200 or 170 for cheap since most others consider them paper weights and to plop it in. But on a side note I noticed if I let the clutch out on nuetral with the engine running I get this strange clunking noise kinda like a rub then clunk then run then clunk so on any ideas?

>if I let the clutch out on neutral with the engine running I get this strange clunking noise kinda like a rub then clunk

Methinks you have a couple of options. The pilot bearing ( it's fitted in the end of the crank). Pretty easy and cheap fix but got to pull the trans and clutch to get to it. Fortunitly the 2.77 trans is dinky and weighs like 30 or 40#s it won't try to crush you trying to lay it on your chest.
Or badly worn bearings the trans input shaft. If your's is the old 2.77 non syncro 1st job I'd just swap it out. Don't think it's worth a rebuild.
May have something w/the clutch disc or pressure plate like a broken spring or finger. Or something loose like the flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, or mount.

Sorry
Terry

falcon_master":2cv6hghu said:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I just still can't believe I did that lol . Ill try a few of your guys advice, But besides that there's been a lot of progress actually. Now I'm seeing a lot of signs this engine is tired though. I'm going to have to do a comp. Check and maybe a camera down the spark plugs holes and see how the bores look. If not my fall back plan is a 200 or 170 for cheap since most others consider them paper weights and to plop it in. But on a side note I noticed if I let the clutch out on nuetral with the engine running I get this strange clunking noise kinda like a rub then clunk then run then clunk so on any ideas?
Here do i have an idea for you. I got plans for an adapter from an early only 8.5" bolt pattern to a 9" setup from 66+. If it works, i can send you the plans for it to be made. I have a hand drawing and a CNC file to get it done. Only thing is that the outside shape will need to be cut by hand but i just did it no prob, and ive never touched a plasma torch or any of that before.

I need to clean up the holes since the CNC cut with a slight taper to it. Hopefully ill get it dropped off on monday and ill let you know afterwards how it works.

All you'd need after the plate is the 9" flywheel, clutch kit, bell, and 3.03 tranny which is great. Then youd have to get your drive shaft yoke switched to the correct yoke and balanced, i paid $150 and got it painted too :). But all these parts arent difficult to find and can be easily had at the autowreckers or craiglists usually

Good Luck,
Ryan

Back