every time I go to the shop...

cmm24601

...there are more issues.

I had a local shop with a qualified mechanic replace the rear main seal. They had several classic mustangs and high end cars when I dropped off and picked up.

When I picked it up they informed me that there was seepage from somewhere on the transmission. I should not have left the shop. :banghead:

The "seepage" left 3 to 4 oz of tranny fluid on my garage floor in less than 12 hours. And the car started missing shifts.

Took a look for myself yesterday. Not a single bolt on the pan was tightened to spec. I could turn them by hand, hence the "seepage".

The bigger problem and question: The transmission cross member is missing a bolt on the driver side and a nut on the other side. :shock: :shock: :shock:

They would have had to remove the transmission to replace the rear main, right?

Is it safe to drive it 7 miles back to the shop? How crucial is that cross member?

Hi, as long as the transmission fluid is full with old fashioned type F I would drive it.
Call or visit them first. If they have a flatbed they should pick it up.
I wonder how long the pan bolts we're loose.
I guess it wasn't dripping before.
If it was leaking at the shop they should have said they could take care of it.
I don't know what they'll say about the bolts.
Good luck

yeah, flatbed their costs.
Ck w/Atty Gen's Comsumer Protection Dept.
B nice w/them (garage), but say ur concerned, 1)may need 2 take it elsewhere'n 2)recoup ur costs (@ their shop).

Is it a C4?

If U f/u w/my 2nd sentenance a 2nd mechanic can document (on paper) what he finds...
(& U or he can cont the wrk correctly.)

Keep talkin, good luck.

The transmission pan bolts are one thing. Tightening to spec seems to have stopped the leak. No real harm there.

How likely is it that the trans would fall out without the crossmember?

"...How crucial is that cross member?..."
Did U remove or play w/it?
Get the flatbed out. It's crucial, so is U not doing anything to the car to adapt, change, etc what they left U with.

If I read ur entrys right my Attorney General contact suggestion is valid and warrented. Request the flatbed frm the last co to wrk on ur vehicle or say "I'm sorry but if U can't I'll B charging the bill to U as you last wrked on this. It is in undriveable condition. I'm requesting U put it right." Get any pic NOW that U can.

After 1 - 2 days of attempting to get them to 'do the right thing' w/o reasonable (a legal term) resolution I'd get another mechanic (C above post).
If you'd like return here for support, ideas, to bitch, moan, etc
(esp if no wife, fam/friends, etc).

The mechanic says they did not touch the transmission. All they did was pull the oil pan. Is that feasible?

cmm24601":itpxt2yv said:
The mechanic says they did not touch the transmission. All they did was pull the oil pan. Is that feasible?
Yes , the seal is two halves and can be removed and replaced by loosening all main caps and removing the rear main cap...It is not easy to do but it can be done.

this is why i do all my own work.....

If you haven't taken it back to the shop, is there any way for you to get under it and take close-up pictures of both sides of the hole for the missing trans mount bolt, and a close up of the bolts on the transmission pan?

May be able to tell if the mount bolt was recently removed or if it was actually missing, like if you can see shiny metal around the hole or if the mount has recently dropped down. Generally an out of position mount or bracket will be visible by the dirt or rust pattern from the correct position. The pan bolts would show traces of a socket wrench if there was any dirt built up on the bolt heads, if they recently 'became loose'.

These days, I barely trust anyone to mount and balance a set of tires.

left my lug nuts loose at Firestone, wheel wuz wigglin
8^0

cmm24601":qo85npaj said:
The transmission pan bolts are one thing. Tightening to spec seems to have stopped the leak. No real harm there.

How likely is it that the trans would fall out without the crossmember?

:shock: well yes it's possible that the trans could fall out if the compleate crossmember were to ever fall out, or are you just talking about the cantilever spring? In any case it should be fixed, so it works as it was designed too. X3 Yes for sure they could have did the rear main seal without pulling the trans. As far as the crossmember bolts that is easy enough to repair with a couple new bolts, a jack, and a few minutes time. You also should be able to drive it the 7 miles over to that shop though if you don't have the tools to do the job yourself. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back