Does a 144 use a damper or a pulley?

falcon_master

Hi everyone. So I was the auto store getting some parts and I showed the guy a picture of the engine. He said that he was shocked to see if had no damper on the crank and only a pulley he said that I need to out a damper on or I'll damgage it. I don't know if that's true because this was the factory setup. But is it a pulley or damper any thoughts. And on a side note i was recently reading in the differences between semi and full floating axles. I know our falcons have semi float axles. I heard that can be a danger because if the axle snaps the wheel can fall off. Well I can understand that for a C clip design but our cars use a retainer flange setup so the way I see it unless the axle snaps after the axle bearing and between the flange the retainer flange should hold it in place right?

First off the 144, 170 and 200 used a dampner that had a grove built into the outside "ring" of the dampner so yes it has one, secondly the the C-clip style axles are being used in newer trucks and lots of new applications the possibility of breakage is relatively low. Not impossible but improbable. Its like worrying that the world will end when a meteorite hits the earth. The 7.25 rear will handle anything that 144 can put out so i think axle snappage would be the last thing on my mind.

Edit: It looks like all the small sixes had the dampner/pulley design.

Your crank pulley is the damper.

Part counter guys are IDIOTS...........

stop worrying about your axle, you are not going to snap it, it's a non-issue that you seem to want to make an issue out of.

Ford put these in MILLIONS of cars

Thanks guys that's what I was thinking. And as for the axle I'm not worried about it snapping but I was just curious as the way I see it the flange would hold in the shaft in. But no I really am not worried about that that's probably the least of my concerns I'm more concerned about the massive rust in the floor and where the previous owner patched it with a license plate lol

falcon_master":21sjakf9 said:
Hi everyone. So I was the auto store getting some parts and I showed the guy a picture of the engine. He said that he was shocked to see if had no damper on the crank and only a pulley he said that I need to out a damper on or I'll damgage it. I don't know if that's true because this was the factory setup. But is it a pulley or damper any thoughts. And on a side note i was recently reading in the differences between semi and full floating axles. I know our falcons have semi float axles. I heard that can be a danger because if the axle snaps the wheel can fall off. Well I can understand that for a C clip design but our cars use a retainer flange setup so the way I see it unless the axle snaps after the axle bearing and between the flange the retainer flange should hold it in place right?

:shock: :rolflmao: :wow: you sure do get some bizare feedback on your Falcon project, from your friends, and or acquaintances! These engines and cars were born some 59 years ago, if their design was so fragile as they think they are then we wouldn't have any that survived all these years latter.

As to your question on your rear axle no need to worry about that as yes if one did break the wheel bearing retainer plate would hold the end of the axle from coming out. This mod is required in many types of racing on the other brands axles that use the C clip type retainers. Couldn't tell you how many times I have seen a C clip axle that came out on the freeway or the drag strip tearing up someone's rear fender as well as leaving them stranded. Good luck :nod:

The parts guys may be idiots but maybe not...Lately we have seen a lot of wrong stuff done by unknowing previous owners, that is why I wanted to see the pic to decide if they really are idiots. :idea:

you only have to half way know how to use a computer behind the counter, you don't have to know how to repair anything.

I walk in with part #'s, I don't need anyone that has no idea trying to tell me I can't put '65 Mustang parts on a '62 Ranchero.

Back