Fuel pump or carburetor issue??

jimlj66

When my Mustang sits for a few days, it will not start without pouring a bit of gas down the carburetor. In the past it was hard starting the first time of the year after sitting all winter. It seems like the last year, and especially this year after sitting a week or two I have to do the gas down the carburetor to get it running. If I ever run it out of gas it is the same story.

I've checked the choke, it is closing when the engine is cold, and opens as it should when I start it.

Where should I start looking??

evap frm the bowl, didn't happen in the past cuz lower ethanol content?
My bronk is used heavy when the lill ones (owls, squrrels whatever) R outta the trees.
So sonally (late summer thru late winter/early spring). It never usta do what urs does but that's been the drill the last few yrs.

Is the float fulla gas?
Wanna ck the flow of the pump in a bucket?
How long need t sit for this to occur - couppla min? over nite?

X2 if your not using the car very much, yes the carb and fuel tank is vented to atmosphere so fuel in bowl evaporates just from sitting in a couple of weeks time. The current fuels we have also make the problem worse too. About all you could do to change this for a faster start up is to add an electric fuel pump to fill the carbs bowl before you start cranking it. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks for the input guys.
Bubba, when you suggest adding an electric fuel pump, should I eliminate the mechanical pump? Is there some way to shut it off incase of an accident? Seems cars that come with electric pumps have some kind of shut off built in.

yep, that's what the momentary or impact switch in the trunk was/is for.

Again, how long does it take to B a problem - run into a store'n back out and no start?

Yes you could do an electric fuel as a stand alone or as a small helper type. One other safe way to hookup a full time electric pump is to use an oil pressure switch. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi, yes, as mentioned, the fuel in the carb evaporates away. On my 6 cylinder Bronco, it usually just takes a little extra cranking and pedal pumping. On my Ford flathead it takes much more cranking, but if I drive the next day they both fire right up in like 5 seconds.
I would try to crank it like 10 seconds, rest, crank it, repeat, before buying an electric fuel pump. I think you can get over this.
You could remove the fuel line from the carb and have a helper crank the starter while you see how long it takes to fill a coffee can with gas. It shouldn't take too long.
If your ignition system is not fresh ( points and condenser) that is adding to the problem.
Good luck

Thanks for all the reply's.

A bit more info on the car
I'm running ethanol free fuel. That doesn't eliminate a fuel problem, but at least it's not ethanol causing my troubles
I have a DSII distributor and non SCV Autolite 1100 carburetor. Spark plugs are good and properly gapped. Once I get fuel to the carburetor, it starts easy.

The hard start happens after several days. The last time (before yesterday) I started the car was about 2 weeks ago. Today, it fires right up. No drive ability problems, Super easy to start while running around town. I'll try pulling the fuel line and filling a can to see how fast it pumps. While I have the fuel line apart I'm going to pull it at the tank and put my vacuum pump on it and make sure I don't have cracked rubber line or pin hole in the steel line causing me problems.

"...after several days..."
yeah, checking frm tank to pump, pump to carb R other areas to ck...

Back