1.6 Rocker Swap results

62Cometman

Hey everyone, so i had ordered a set of the 1.6 ratio adjustable rockers from Matt and they got put on backorder and i attempted to patiently wait for them to arrive. Well tuesday they finally showed up at my door step and it was like Christmas to me. Anyway I finally got around to installing them today, i wanted to see how the would perform with a "mostly" stock engine. The only major modification ive dont to my engine was shave the head .040. I took the car out and did some rolling pulls to see what performance was ahead of time and after since i dont have access to a dyno and this was the most accurate thing i could think of. So i got to installing them today kept the original springs everything just swapped them out and reset valve lash. Now maybe i had too high of expectations considering all i was doing was swapping the rockers but it felt faster just a barely noticeable amount or so i thought until i went back to do my rolling pull checks. In every test i picked up about 1.0-1.5 seconds. I did a 25-55 pull which includes a shift from second to third and a 35-55 pull starting in the low end of 3rd and then lastly a 40-65 pull and every single one was faster than the original. So while it didnt feel much faster is was a "decent" bit faster that previous. My only complaint is currently it sounds like it has valve noise or a lifter clattering, which since it has solid lifters shouldnt be the case. The only thing i can think of is too loose for valve lash, i set it to .016 which is what the service manual says but i believe that when i rebuilt my engine i went with .014. Any ideas? Im planning on this winter removing the pan since im pretty sure the rear main seal is leaking, and swapping out cams with one from Schneider and swaping in the dagenham and the weber. See if i can convince my local machine shop to direct mount the weber to the head if not i have the adapter already. Im hoping between all these upgrades itll completely change the driving experience of the car. Which im sure it will.

Check to see if you have any bent pushrods.
Redo your valve lash.
Make sure you don't have a broken valve spring. However this would create a rough idle+++.
Do you have a stock valve cover???
C.I. valve covers have interference problems with adjustable rocker arms.

stock valve covers which i suppose i haven't checked to see if they hit i don't think so but could be possible and i let the engine idle for a few minutes and tried to set warm valve lash so i dont think the pushrods are bent at least the upper portions arent, i did with a wrench rotate the engine over several times before actually starting the car and i had more than enough spring left that im not worried about coil bind i think it might just honestly be valve lash needing readjustment. Tomorrow i might try adjusting it again and see where i come out.

My stock rockers do not have any baffles inside and there are no witness marks on the under side of the cover to lead me to believe that they are making contact. This is still the stock camshaft so at most its like .360 lift so its still not much.

Hi Cometman, do you have a solid lifter or a hydraulic lifter cam? The way it's worded I figure it was a typo and you have a hydraulic cam?

nope i have the original solid lifter cam, i did adjust the rockers down to .014 lash and its smooth as silk and quiet no more clattering so it definitely had to much lash when i first set it.

Back