65 200 cylinder head

Hello, I’m a new member and this is my first posting to this forum. Recently, i acquired a 1965 Mustang with a 200 six. This car is some what odd, at least to me, in that it has a cylinder head unlike any I have seen. It has adjustable rocker arms with hydraulic lifters, which I understand is not uncommon, but it also has threaded brass plugs in the factory bungs next to each exhaust valve on the exhaust side of the head. Does anyone know what purpose these serve? The casting on the intake log reads C6DE 6090 B X5. Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard. Sounds like emissions ports for your California car.
I will let out #'s experts advise you on the casting dates. Bill

Howdy Scootie2:

And welcome to THE FORUM. Yes, it is that good.

As usual, Bill (wsa111) is right on. Your head is an emission head designed to meet EPA emission standards in California but the head appeared in other states as well. The system used a belt driven pump that injected air into the hot exhaust port to help burn dirty exhaust more completely, thus cleaner air. It worked, sort of, but lack of system maintenance and wear frequently cause an inefficient system over time. Most were removed and the extra holes in the head plugged.

Again, welcome and enjoy your new (old) car.

Adios, David

W E L C O M E !!!

C how many components of ur vehicle U can ID. This way U will know what U have. After 53 yrs all components could have been swapped out. This will help U after 6 mo - a yr of driving in answering any Q abt "Is this vehicle in any need of modernizing for safety or performance (thats both pep and MPGs)?" Many place disc breaks up frnt & an improved ign/carb/dizzy system. Others add a cam, suspension and other upgrades. It great to have options (I like choice! U?).

What will this vehicle B used for (mi p/yr, 80% of traffic/driving patterns)? Polish up for 'cars'n coffee'? a daily driver? dedicated track car?

If U R at all interested in things automotive there's lots of 'car guys' here and it extends on up to some internationally renoun experts. All seem generous w/their help and self moniter when getting into areas they don't have the experties. There's lill to no snippyness and personal attacks. I saved alot of money and time from checkin in here, learned alot! Made some very enjoyable contacts. Got some parts. Heck, what's not to like!
How much automotive work have U/would U like to do? Tools? Space? Time? Budget?
/OR/
Willing to leave well enuff alone?
:LOL:

Thanks for the info. I guess I didn’t realize that CA required emission controls as far back as 65. Good to know.

Back