oil capacity questions 66' 200 6cyl

cobra5laddict

i have a pair of what i believe to be original 66 6 cyl's with original dipsticks. Both match in length. Everywhere i have read the capacity is min 4.5 qts with filter change. I am running a FL1A motocraft filter and when I add oil 4 qts the dipstick shows about 3/8" or 1/2" over the full mark. should i ignore the stick and mark a new "full" line on the stick? does it really matter? the pan is straight without any dents etc. to effect capacity.

I run the same filter on our early 1965, 170 equipped mustang. On my car at least it is 4 quarts and a piece of the 5th one to get to the full mark on the dipstick. A full half quart will cause it to read slightly over full ( Maybe a quarter inch ). If it were mine, I would go with the 4.5 quarts and mark the dipstick accordingly as the new full mark, but that is just me.

Good Luck,

Kevin

does that mean there's less than a 10% difference?

If it were so I'd say 'no big deal'.
If it were 20 - 25% I'd B concerned & wanna ck oil flow passages etc as it's a 50 yr ol vehicle.
Being in TWO vehicles also thins out concern.

Are you filling the filter or running the engine before checking it? I run that same filter on my 250 and it takes about 4.5 qts. Otherwise could there be a whole lot of sludge in the pan?

I am a retired engine builder (mostly stock/near-stock) to go in Street Rods for long distance running. I have rebuilt a 200 Six twice and both had this overfill problem. After running about 20 miles I checked again, and the overfill was still there. The blocks were hot-tanked, the head cleaned and the pan, oil filter and all related parts either new or rebuilt. It appears 4 quarts works fine in this little engine. My 65 Mustang is bored .060", 2-barrel adapter, Autolite 2100 286 cfm carb, ACCEL coil, Pertronix trigger in a 68 distributor (see note), 8.5 mm wires, cool-air intake, free-flowing exhaust and minor head work. Over the 4th holiday we went 2,275.5 miles getting 24.5 mpg running the AC all the way and doing 75 mph most of the time...sometime even faster in the NASCAR lane! When I topped-off the oil I got some blow-by out the oil filler. Not serious but it suggests an overfill. The suspension has been updated with poly bushings except the front struts/locaters, V8 GT springs, 15" tires, rear sway-bar, gas shocks and front disc brakes. I feel safe with 4 quarts but use oil with added zinc because newer oils removed it. Flat tappet cams need it. I am also a retired gunsmith and I am very familiar with hot moving metal parts. NOTE: The 65 used a matched carb-distributor called the Load-A-Matic system. It had a vacuum valve on the side of the 1100 one barrel carb that tied to ported vacuum to operate distributor advance. The carb MUST be the 1100 with the vacuum valve on the side of the carb body and it MUST be connected to the ported vacuum, NOT manifold vacuum. If a later distributor is used...like I did, use manifold vacuum for advance. The later dizzy uses vacuum and swing-weights to advance timing, so the vacuum valve must be sealed off and manifold vacuum used. I tried to ad a pic but unable.

Back