78' block into 65' Ranchero

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

As seen earlier of my In Trouble thingy, im looking at gettjng a 78' 200 for my 65' Ranchero with a 67' bell and 9" setup with a 3.03 tranny. Will the 78' be a complete drop in with this and will my 67' bell bolt right up or are there complications?

Thanks guys!
Ryan

Howdy Ryan:

Yes, there are always complications. The '78 will likely have a different pan, so save the '65 incase you need to convert the '78 to '65. What was the '78 200 from?

Are you just doing the block, or the whole engine?

Other items that are different from '65 are water pump, damper and front pulleys and dip stick and location.

Adios, David

I'd goferit, rock the '78 as much as possible'n leave the '65 behind (ie transmish too if needed).
All the advantages R there w/the newer, however - I have no idea on the steer link, suspension fitment, rear end, frame'n body. U have the sq body chero & I bet there's some pretty clear guidelines 4 this exchange in the Handbook.

I'd B pretty envious of the resultant mash up.
:eek:

CZLN6":2noc73yn said:
Howdy Ryan:

Yes, there are always complications. The '78 will likely have a different pan, so save the '65 incase you need to convert the '78 to '65. What was the '78 200 from?

Are you just doing the block, or the whole engine?

Other items that are different from '65 are water pump, damper and front pulleys and dip stick and location.

Adios, David
I will be doing the entire engine, block and head.
I dont know qhat it came from but i can check the casting number to see
I did notice the 78 had a rear sump so i did plan on doing that.
How is the water pump different? Shaft length? Or is it a 4 bolt?
I cannot reuse my pulley off of mine?

I just need to make sure the motor mounts are in the same spot, and the bell bolts are the same 9" setup from 68. And the alternator bracket is the same. Other than that i can make it work

Also, im not 100% sure if it has an exhaust manifold yet, can i use the one off of my 65? My 65 has a 68 manifold. Id put on my headers now from V.I. but i dont have money to do the dual pipes

Howdy:

Plan on using the '65 pan and oil pickup. The '78 would have a long water pump. It will clash with you stock '65 radiator location. You can use '65 water pump and pulley along with '65 damper/pulley

Yes your ''68 exhaust manifold will work just fine. What rocker arms are on the '65 head?

Good luck.

Adios, David

CZLN6 not only had a Ranchero, but he is the expert on what fits. Your are guided by an expert.

CZLN6":1x9ec1vd said:
Howdy:

Plan on using the '65 pan and oil pickup. The '78 would have a long water pump. It will clash with you stock '65 radiator location. You can use '65 water pump and pulley along with '65 damper/pulley

Yes your ''68 exhaust manifold will work just fine. What rocker arms are on the '65 head?

Good luck.

Adios, David
Oh good, how hard is it to pull the dampener and put it back on without screwing up the rubber that holds it in place?

I have adjustable 1.5 rockers. Should i swap the nonadjustable ones and pushrods for the one on mine?

Im also highly considering just slapping in a C4 and getting all the stuff i need for that

Hi, you will need a 3 bolt balancer puller or you will ruin the balancer.
It will go on with no tools.
I would run the rocker and push rods as is, and save the old ones. I save most of the old parts unless they are really useless. Good luck

If you don't want to purchase a balancer puller, you can usually borrow one from Autozone, Advance Auto, or FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Supplier).

Ok thanks guys! Pulling the balancer is pretty easy then.

If yoy guys think of anything else, just post it.

Thanks

"...anything else..." ?
use a Chiltons/Hanes or other "helper" (ford shop manual), keep the Handbook close, scout up a friend ( & a 'back up 2 him - experienced is best but even 1 who isn't can B of benifit), touch back here after the foregoing when they fail to ease ur difficulties, have a 2nd 'project' (car on not) to get off thisun when frustrated/stuck (school studies, job). Return later... Don't guess bout what U don't know - understand 1st, then proceed.

Just all the regular s4!+...
oh, AND sending U the best energy available!

Howdy back Ryan:

Are you planning on any disassembly for inspection before installing the 200? So you know what condition the engine is in? Definitely save the adjustable rocker assembly and pushrods. IF you don't use them, someone will want them. Is the carb and distributor on the '78 200?

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

CZLN6":izathf3n said:
Howdy back Ryan:

Are you planning on any disassembly for inspection before installing the 200? So you know what condition the engine is in? Definitely save the adjustable rocker assembly and pushrods. IF you don't use them, someone will want them. Is the carb and distributor on the '78 200?

Keep it coming.

Adios, David
Supposedly its rebuilt, and ive been given the impression its never been run since. My buddy has a borescope so we're gonna check it out internally to make sure its all good. Go through a few spark plugs, in theough the oil pan, and through the fuel pump. I havent seen the 78 in person yet, rhat will be on the 17th unless i decide to put the 65 C4 in my car instead (See Thread about C4 conversion). Im kinda leaning towards the C4 since its still in the car and ill get to drive it around ahead of time before we pull it to decide if i want it.

No the 78 is nude. No accessories but i plan to transfer my weber 32/36 and HEI over to it.

Back