Starter Arcing

Are you sure that all of your grounds are in place?

ags290":128bicku said:
Are you sure that all of your grounds are in place?
It is snugged up tight to the block. The nagative for the battery is snug on both the block and battery. The alternator ground is snug. The coil ground is snug.

Could it just be a crap Starter?

If the starter has been removed repeatedly lately then it could be as simple as the starter stud nut backing off enough to be lose. Ie the stud on the starter for power cable from the solenoid. Good luck (y) :nod:

motor grnded to frame'n firewall
those 2 'straps' crushed under the motor on install/left off

bubba22349":2mt6weu7 said:
If the starter has been removed repeatedly lately then it could be as simple as the starter stud nut backing off enough to be lose. Good luck (y) :nod:
Ive tightened both of those nuts on the starter and the bolts that hold it to the bell

chad":1smzhxiw said:
motor grnded to frame'n firewall
those 2 'straps' crushed under the motor on install/left off
What straps? Ive never had straps on the starter and never had this problem before. Could tge bell just be dirty or oily where jt contacts?

"...never had straps on the starter..."
again, Y the use of shop manual wuz suggested. I'm not good at all on ele systems 4 auto (can do a house OK) & am only thinkin bout how these old vehicles have 2 grnds...1 to frame, 1 to fire wall. Rubber (if done correctly) in engine towers/mounts isolates.
What I offer is not bible, only suggestions and thoughts. I C in the manuals to follow this procedure tho.
The technical is beyond me so I just mimic the correct.

StarDiero75":3kznlfqg said:
bubba22349":3kznlfqg said:
If the starter has been removed repeatedly lately then it could be as simple as the starter stud nut backing off enough to be lose. Good luck (y) :nod:
Ive tightened both of those nuts on the starter and the bolts that hold it to the bell

Ok then it’s the insulator as “ frozenrabbit” said so get another starter if it’s got a warrantee still outerwise you will need to disassemble enough to get in and fix it. Good luck (y) :nod:

Econoline":13vunskt said:
When you say it's arching, where do you see it?
Its right on the starter where the power line for it connects to it. Its fine for a split second, then a little bit of smoke, then it starts sparking like heck on it. Is that not arcing? I may be using the wrong term

Maybe the terminal or wire lug is somehow shorting to the starter frame at/near the terminal. I'd pull the wire from the starter and investigate. You'll be able to see where and maybe how it's arcing to ground from the black traces and melted steel and copper.

Sounds to me that the connection is dirty or not tight, maybe wrong nut...Take it apart and clean with scotch brite, tighten nut close to starter first then wire and tighten last nut.

I agree likely a broken/compromised insulator. The stud itself has one nut that holds it tight to the insulator/case and if that gets loose then tightening the second nut that secures the battery cable can cause the stud to spin and possibly ground out inside the case. Overtightening can just crack/smash the insulator as well.

Back