Bellhousing?

65_Stang_170

Howdy!

Getting prepped for a T-5 swap, and wanted to cheat and find out what bellhousing I had without having to pull it (don't have time before I deploy). I don't want to be away for half the year not being able to prep for the swap because I don't know what I've got. I'd like to buy the adapter and trans support (no info needed for this purchase) before I come home. This is what I know:

1) Engine is a '66 170
2) Transmission is a 68 3.03 (C8AR)
3) I have a 9" flat surface flywheel
4) High mount 2-bolt starter

Looking at the pictures in the handbook, it appears I might have the C7ZA. The part number is on the surface that mates to the transmission right? I can't find it otherwise... Thoughts?

So as far as i know, theres only a kit for the 8.5" setup, i may be wrong. But going by what i know, since its a 66' it'll be dual drilled which means you can use the bell off of a 2.77, 3 bolt starter, and 8.5" dished flywheel. If you go that route, theres an adapter plate for the back of the 2.77 bell to the T5, and a special clutch for it. The. Of course yoy have your special cross member and moved tranny mount, crap like that. Go on modern driveline and see what they have. For an entire kit i checked for my 65 Ranchero, it puts me at $3000

Someone else will start in here who knows more than i do. I plan to do this but lack the funds

Good luck,
Ryan

Not sure why a '65 Mustang with '66 engine would have C7ZA ('67 up) bell unless swapped previously but, as long as you have the 3.03 "Toploader" 3 speed and not "peanut" 2.77, a simple adapter plate should mate the T5 to the bellhouse. As mentioned, the details to completing the swap can include altering the tranny/crossmember mount, clearancing existing crossmember for T5 shifter box, parking brake cable, backup lamp switch etc. The 3.03's output yoke should already be correct/same 28 spline as T5 but DS length probably will need attention. ( Early 3.03 Falcons used the unique tranny yoke with same tiny 1100 series universals used with 2.77 3 spd. ),.

have fun

powerband":1mhl8i6n said:
Not sure why a '65 Mustang with '66 engine would have C7ZA ('67 up) bell unless swapped previously but, as long as you have the 3.03 "Toploader" 3 speed and not "peanut" 2.77, a simple adapter plate should mate the T5 to the bellhouse. As mentioned, the details to completing the swap can include altering the tranny/crossmember mount, clearancing existing crossmember for T5 shifter box, parking brake cable, backup lamp switch etc. The 3.03's output yoke should already be correct/same 28 spline as T5 but DS length probably will need attention. ( Early 3.03 Falcons used the unique tranny yoke with same tiny 1100 series universals used with 2.77 3 spd. ),.
have fun

Ya, when I took it apart a few years ago I was surprised at the hodge podge of parts. I just can't remember what year the bellhousing was. Although it is mated up currently, from what I can tell it looks identical to what you have pictured above. Were the 170s dual bolt pattern as well? All I have ever read about were the dual pattern 200s...

Yes 170's were dual pattern as in the pics of the '71 Maverick 170 in my '63. I have a 76 Maverick 200 with C4 auto' using the SMALL pattern bellhouse .

Easily identified by : 3 freeze plugs + 170 VS 5 Freeze plugs = 200cid.

Also 'had a C5DA 200 with 5 frz plugs and ONLY small bellhouse pattern .

R.I.P. :

have fun

powerband":9pttq8pr said:
Yes 170's were dual pattern as in the pics of the '71 Maverick 170 in my '63. I have a 76 Maverick 200 with C4 auto' using the SMALL pattern bellhouse .

Easily identified by : 3 freeze plugs + 170 VS 5 Freeze plugs = 200cid.

Also 'had a C5DA 200 with 5 frz plugs and ONLY small bellhouse pattern .

have fun

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Back