It's alive. But runs like a total turd. Help?

falcon_master

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted. But in that time I have fixed the brakes and electrical. The car will stop but the pedal sinks almost all the way to the floor before the car starts to slow. But that's not a safety issue as the car won't even move more than 2 feet. The engine is running so bad. So what happens is it'll idle great and and won't sound like it's going to die. I rebuilt the carb myself. It was my first time so I have no idea what the float level is but the symptoms seem to point to fuel starvation. It'll idle great but when you start to rev up it starts missing alot. And it runs really rough and will start shaking the car worse than a jackhammer before it stalls. I don't here back firing and doesn't smell to rich to me. Any idea?

When you rebuilt the carb, did you thoroughly clean it?

Where did you start at with adjustment on the idle mixture screw?

When you lost the check balls, did you loose the weight that goes on top of one of the check balls?

Have you put a timing light to it yet?

Is the vacuum advance diaphram holding vacuum on the distributor?

You might want to start by looking at fuel filters.

The clog easily and although an engine will idle with a dirty fuel filter, the engine starves for fuel above idle.

My car was doing the same thing it sounds like . One easy check off of the list is ... take off the dizzy cap and with a flashlight check under the points plates for oil in the bottom of your dizzy ! On my car the oil was messing up my timing when driving . And at idle it was fine . Easy Check off of the list

Back