Idling issues

Hi I’m new to this website and i came here to seek help with my 65 mustang it has an in-line 6 200 with autolite 1100 carb. My problem first started around June 14 when the car had started shaking and bouncing like crazy due to some bad hesitation which makes the car feel like it’s gonna die when I go to stop and idle at a light or idle in park. I adjusted the carb and then it was fine for a week until the problem had come back. I changed the spark plugs, messed around with the carb, checked my timing and I’m still not sure what it is that’s wrong and also throughout the summer I’ve noticed that when it gets really bad the car launches up when I step even the slightest amount on the gas. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

When was the carb last rebuilt? It might just be time to show it some love. It kinda sounds like fuel starvation, which would be why its so rough and gets happy when it gets any amount of gas. Try manually moving the choke to close when its hot, if it fixes it, then either

A: Vacuum leak
B: Carb needs rebuilding

To check if its a vacuum leak, spray brake cleaner or starter fluid around the base of the carb and where the distributor line goes into the carb. If it stutters/dies then thats your prob and usually tightening or a new gasket will fix that. If nothing happens then it may be time for the carb to get some attention

Also check your vacuum line to the tranny, that may give you some issues if thats causing a vacuum leak, which could explain the lunging when a little bit of gas is given.

Also, hows the tranny fluid? Im not sure if this can cause that though, sorry I'm a manual guy lol.

Good luck man,
Ryan

Thanks for the reply and I didn’t mention this in the post which probably would’ve been helpful. But we had my neighbors shop put on a new carb since the old one was warped very badly and could not be fixed but I will still take all of the advice you’ve given me and try it out, thank you so much!

So did this problem develop AFTER the new carb was installed? It's very common to go through one or more reman carbs before finding one that works well. Not sure why it is so hard to get a good one but it is a common experience.

Back