So, I bought an engine

Reinking

So, saw a engine listed on a sale site at a good price and bought it without asking any questions. Figured what the heck, working on a 63 Falcon with a 170 so what do I have to loose. Now that I have it home and had a chance to look at it I am wondering what to do. It is out of a 1965 Mustang with a 65 block/head, 1967 manifold and a 3 speed manual attached.

Overall looks good but unfortunately the carb has been messed with, must have had a problem keeping the bottom linkage attached so someone hit it with s little weld. So my question is what would you do? Strip the engine and store the pats for future use in the Falcon? Strip it and sell the parts I don’t think I will need? Or, say the hell with it and modify the crap out of it for fun and put it in the Falcon? Thoughts?

get "the Handbook". It will guide U.

sounds familiar

If just the carb is screwy, id go to the auto wreckers, get a replacement, rebuild it, and slap it on. Always try to run it if you can before dissasembly, that way you can see how it is before you mess with it. Also, if its good, why mess with it, y'know?

"...modify the crap out of it..."
now that U have the Handbook U can do so in a consentrated, pointed (ie in a certain direction), realistic, optimal way.

When U get the other 1 home - drive it around for a yr or 6 mo. Cont. ur research & study. Drive what U have and point a critical eye toward how the rig meets ur needs and possible new directions. When these two things settle in well together assess funds and make some decisions. The auto is a system, change 1 thing? u need to change others (improved breaking, suspension, steering, etc). Lotta study ahead?

I'd trade it for a 200 if I hada 170. That's a direction I'd go w/a falcon/comet. But that's cuz I got a bronk 250 (& wanna 300) !!!
:rolflmao:

Trading was what I was kind of leaning toward. I don’t need the 3 speed manual transmission, think it would be a bigger hassle to convert the 63 over. Not sure what I may need in the way of parts for the current engine. Need to check and see If the new one has adjustable rockers, I understand some did and some didn’t.

Back