Re: Performance 200 engine update. Defective Engine from 1 Hot Vega

czilko

Warning!! Do not do business with 1hotvega! Jeff sold me a 200 six engine with 2 barrel conversion in 2016. I paid a lot of money for an engine that was ready for the junk yard. The block he used was cracked at the water pump, so he brazed the crack and painted it so the repair couldn't be seen. The area kept seeping, and finally ripped open during a drive this past January after just 200 miles on this rebuilt engine. Jeff assured me that he would cover the block replacement under warranty, then refused to answer phone calls and texts after he told me that he would arrange for shipping the engine back to him in California. Upon disassembly, I found out that the block was bored out .080". The Falcon Performance handbook suggests .040" max. So again, this block should have never been a candidate for rebuilding. I recently found out that the 2 barrel cylinder head has loose valves, suggesting that the valve seats were worn out and never replaced or repaired. See the attached photos. I'm having the original engine rebuilt here locally. It was my mistake to trust someone from out of state. 1hotvega took advantage of me, and I don't want anybody else to suffer the same way.

Sorry to hear of your screw job from him.
Does anyone else one this forum have contact with him???

1hotvega also has Corvair parts on eBay along with Ford I6 stuff.
IMHO, his asking prices are high, comparable to known vendors who do excellent work.
I guess he thinks he's just as good as them.

Unless he has a part I really need and isn't reworked by his "professional hands", I usually pass on his auctions.

This guy has always been suspect too me ! For all others who are considering any of his auctions or so called "Expertise" ... NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THE FORD SIX PERFORMANCE BOOK AS A GUIDE AND YOUR LOCAL MACHINE SHOP ! DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS GUY !! YOU SEE HOW HE DOES HIS CUSTOMERS !

& we have had "happy reports" frm other members/visitors here.

I purchased a large log head from him over a year ago. My machinist said the head was as advertised ( larger valves, valve guides etc...).
I don't have any updated contact information to help the OP.
Based on OP's claims, I'd suggest demanding a full refund .
DannyG

DannyG":336c9sku said:
I purchased a large log head from him over a year ago. My machinist said the head was as advertised ( larger valves, valve guides etc...).
I don't have any updated contact information to help the OP.
Based on OP's claims, I'd suggest demanding a full refund .
DannyG

Hard to get a refund when he won't respond to your emails and phone calls.

ck any written documents U have. Ck what was said on e-mails (no phone tapes).
These may B ur only proofs of purchases, guarantees, etc.

If having these and an address write a Demand Ltr w/a specific response date (up 2 U but I'd suggest 2 wks).

But, this was all purchased in 2016? Two years ago. Good luck even if you could contact him.

I agreed to have Jeff Jones (AKA 1hotvega) sell me the 2 V conversion performance engine in early 2017 after he noted that it came with a 1 year warranty. The engine was listed on EBay. I sent Jeff 1/2 of the full amount via PayPal. the engine finally arrived in mid April, and the engine was installed in my 65 Falcon sometime in August 2017. I immediately noticed coolant seepage near the front of the engine. Thinking the water pump gasket was leaking, I removed and re-installed the water pump and used the GM coolant sealing tabs. The seepage lessened, but never went away. It was around New Years day 2018 when I took a drive when the block opened up at the brazed repair at the water pump flange. I called Jeff to tell him that the block split the following Monday. He acted very concerned and told me that he would replace the block at no expense to me, and he would arrange for shipping. I removed the engine and prepared it for shipping. The block was ready to ship on a pallet on 1-17-18. Jeff was not responding to calls or texts. His last reply was on 2-14-18, telling me that he would investigate why the shipping arrangement he made did not happen. That was the last reply I received from 1hotvega. I had an attorney draft a demand letter that was sent certified mail to Jeff in early April 2018 requesting full reimbursement. We received no reply from Jeff Jones. 1hotvega is dishonest, a liar, and I suggest to all on this forum to never do any business with him.

Back