I'm waffleing!

Cornholio

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've posted.... darn health issues.
Anyway, as a refresher I have a 1975 Granada with the 250 six and a c4 trans but the carb is toast.
I recently bought a period correct 1975 302 with a rebuilt c4 on it for a good price.
Now, I need the car daily since I cannot walk very far anymore, and I don't know if I should buy another carb for it or drop the 302 into it.

The car itself is in good shape with 94000 miles on it. The 250 has 180 compression across the board but is a slug getting onto the highway.

If the 250 is better, what should I use for a carb? I've had the head rebuilt and shaved for the new style head gasket and the engine still has the crosshatch on the bores.

Or is the 302 better to use? I would like a bit more performance, but I've heard good things about the six.

I don't know which choice is better! :banghead:

Regards, Alex.

you'd B willing to swap in a motor rather than get ur carb running right (or install a good/better 1)?
Not sure if this is what ur sayin...
I'd prefer the minimal wrk w/a carb rather than a motor swap but am not U.
Ford madem w/both engines so that doesn't matter (engine bay, weight to power, bell, etc).

What motor (& results) do U seek?

Glad yer health is better, interested to hear back.

Howdy Back Alex:

What carb is now in place? Carter RBS or Carter YF? What are the symptoms of the toasted Carb?

FYI- to replace your inline six with a V8 you will likely need to replace the K frame as well. The Granada is unique- different from fairmont and Mustang sub chassis. I don't know where you'd find that kind of info. Check it out. You might have to write your own book.

Swapping to a V8 in your car is going to be an adventure! Likely not what you want.

Rebuilding your carb or getting a new one will be tons easier and cheaper, and with less down time.

The lack of performance is due, in part to the ridiculously high rear end gear ratio, probably in the 2.50:1 or 2.87:1. Swapping to a 3.00:1 would make a world of difference in performance with no loss of fuel economy.

SO, IIWIYS- I'd opt for a carb fix. For convenience, I'd stick to replacing what you currently have- if necessary. How long has it been since the stock carb has had a rebuild? Lowest cost, lowest down time and easiest.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what your choose to do.

Adios, David

My car had the option for the 302 and the 351 for it and the frame is the same apparently.
My carb is a carter YFA with the throttle shaft worn out. Even with a rebuilt carter from a maverick grabber on it it sucks ass for acceleration.

I'm looking for a way to have better get up and go with minimal down time.

Thanks for the replies!

Alex.

ck out the "Falcon Performance Handbook" for easy, inexpensive adjustments to this motor. A carb can B rebushed if needed.

Doh...

I do have this 1975 302 to rebuild...I'm just wondering what parts to put into it to make it better.
I'm not looking for a race car, just a bit of a sleeper.

Regards, Alex

this is more of an i6 "Falcon' or ThriftPower motor scene. (144, 170, 200, 250; the 240 & 300 R @ the other forums on this site).

If 'waffleing' tell me Y U have an i6 and a bent8, what;s the application, end goal, 80% of driving condition, what U seek, use - in detail. Then U will C 100 opinions and several specific plans w/details (inc machining guidelines, prts. & lists on non-motor modifications). (the more specific the details the better we can lay out a plan.)

Many of us use "the Handbook" and I'd suggest U stop in there and the above "tech archive" (@ the crossed screwdriver'n wrench).

Cornholio":1zzbqn24 said:
Doh...

I do have this 1975 302 to rebuild...I'm just wondering what parts to put into it to make it better.
I'm not looking for a race car, just a bit of a sleeper.

Regards, Alex

Though I could give you a recipe for a 302 it’s Not really the scope of the Ford Six site! Besides 302’s don’t have much torque I would readily trounce many of them with my 250 Six.

302’s are better in a light weight car and they need the right gearing so they can rev up. There are so many other sites dedicated to building up the 302's or the other V8's. If you really want a real sleeper why not build a 460 or at least a 351? Good luck on your sleeper project (y) :nod:

"...build a 460..."
now there's a race engine! Never liked it in any other use (the cummins
is a good re-power option 4 what many use the 460 for - better power'n MPGs).
(y)

Howdy Back Alex;

You mentioned "minimum down time". What is a reasonable "down time" for you. Yes, the sub frames are the same for the Unibody Granadas, but each engine application has a unique K-frame that mounts the engine to the sub frame. Check it out.

IF your mind is made up to go with a bent eight, good luck.

Adios, David

So I've been thinking and I'll keep the 250.... Here's the reasoning:
Ever since I got this car, I wanted to keep it as stock as possible with few upgrades.
"Period correct" performance parts as it were. The 302 would've been nice but it sounds like a lot of trouble for little return.
I COULD drop a 460 in it but it would not be in keeping with my period correct idea. Plus I would have to replace all the running gear.

Down time for me has to be a day or so... my disabilities prevent me from using alternative transportation.

So I will do an upgrade to an Autolite 2100 or similar. In time I will try to find another 250 around here to rebuild into a faster engine.

Thanks for all the replies!

Regards, Alex.

Back