Electric Fan

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

Im looking at going to a temperature controlled electric fan, preferably a pusher for my 65 Ranchero w/200 and 3.03 to gain a few ponies and keep the car at warmer temps in the winter and better controlled in the summer. Any recommendations for a setup that requires the least amount of work to fit? Id do a puller fan but i dont think i have enough room and i dont want to modify the radiator support.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Using a fan designed to pull may not be suitable to PUSH.

For the fan, I'm using a $110 Perma Cool 2950 CFM fan and variable thermostat in the top water outlet set to @ 160F. I'm using an the Permacool 15" in "Pusher" position - in front of the radiator with some trimming of the hood latch support.: I can get stuck in traffic going into a car show with no worries. Of course in this car it is OK that I had to cut a lot of Rad support and the hood brace to fit the filler.

ENGINERADFROMFRTRT.jpg

FAN3.jpg

Powerband

i believe some bronks move the radiator to the other side (mount it where pb's fan is 4 an ele or mechanical "puller'). No idea where things R on these sedans/coupes (cept as shown in ford6 pics). Of most import (2 me) is a "1/2 in 1/2 out" situation of fan blade'n shroud when using a mechanical puller. Uncertain of these other options - I'm too ol school for most (but I do 'keep up' w/some info).

"...the least amount of work..."
ALSO:
The Taurus dual ele fan is often used.
I believe use of yer search function will reveal several threads !!!

Within the last two weeks there was a comprehensive thread about electric fans. I'd suggest doing a word search - as I was very impressed with the information exchanged in that thread.

powerband":3spivzth said:
Using a fan designed to pull may not be suitable to PUSH.

For the fan, I'm using a $110 Perma Cool 2950 CFM fan and variable thermostat in the top water outlet set to @ 160F. I'm using an the Permacool 15" in "Pusher" position - in front of the radiator with some trimming of the hood latch support.: I can get stuck in traffic going into a car show with no worries. Of course in this car it is OK that I had to cut a lot of Rad support and the hood brace to fit the filler.

ENGINERADFROMFRTRT.jpg

FAN3.jpg

Powerband
So i just put in a 195°F thermostat, which the car seems to run better with than the 180°F i previously had in it so id like to keep that.
It looks like i have a good amount of room in front of the radiator between the hood latch and the radiator. So id like to squeeze a pusher in there.
So electrically, these are simple to rig up, yeah? I just have to make sure i got the room for it in front of the radiator?

So electrically, these are simple to rig up, yeah? I just have to make sure i got the room for it in front of the radiator?

'Simple' to rig if done right:
A direct feed from Battery to a fuse block - Fused power (B+) to the fan relay - Temperature sensor in the water outlet with it's variable control turning fan relay ON/OFF at set temp., only switches ON with sensor powered from ignition switch RUN position .

have fun

Fuse block, relay and variable controller :

Temp sensor in water outlet :

Ok sweet, thanks man!

Any recommendations on what and where to get the fuse block, relay, variable controller, and temp sensor?

StarDiero75":2cx964tw said:
Ok sweet, thanks man! Any recommendations on what and where to get the fuse block, relay, variable controller, and temp sensor?

I bought the fan on E-Bay , the controller and relay from Summit.

Available at most speed equip or even auto-box stores :

https://www.summitracing.com/?gclid=CLC ... OgodVlcA2Q

https://www.jegs.com/

etc ...

I did need to have machinist bore and pipe-thread water outlet port for temp sensor.

haev fun

Back