67 Mustang - how do you insert fuel pump?

Hi, if the lobe on the cam is up and working the lever on the fuel pump you will have trouble installing the pump. Bump the engine over until the fuel pump slips right in. We used to pack the cavity of the fuel pump with grease on a new pump. I don't remember exactly why, but I still pack them. Good luck

B RON CO":ou54dd41 said:
Hi, if the lobe on the cam is up and working the lever on the fuel pump you will have trouble installing the pump. Bump the engine over until the fuel pump slips right in. We used to pack the cavity of the fuel pump with grease on a new pump. I don't remember exactly why, but I still pack them. Good luck

What do you mean by bump?

just 'tap' the key "on".
Use the engine/battery to do ur wrk.
Do not start the vehicle, just 'click', tap, jog the motor - quick on/off.
Do it several times till the gears in there line up w/the centric on the pump's arm.
I'd put a gasket on the pump w/a lill 'snot', 'glue', whatever's an appropriately designed
adherent.
We assume U R using a mechanical pump & placing it on the motor.
(B nice to have a buddy or wife do this while U struggle under the hood).

B careful of any rotating assembly catching clothing or skin & causing damage
8^0

"...don't remember exactly why..."
increase life of oil pump cam/cenrtic on pump?

Be careful of the thickness of the new fuel pump flange. I just installed a new Carter & the thickness of the mounting flange was .125" thinner than the previous pump.
Solution was to shorten the original bolt by .125". Or purchase a new fastener shorter as necessary.

wsa111":26xon0kx said:
Be careful of the thickness of the new fuel pump flange. I just installed a new Carter & the thickness of the mounting flange was .125" thinner than the previous pump.
Solution was to shorten the original bolt by .125". Or purchase a new fastener shorter as necessary.

Worked out perfectly for me.

Back