Dip stick woes

JayBayBay

So as I am assembling my engine and I’ve ran into another hiccup. My engine is an 81 that originally came with a rear sump pan. It is going into a 65 mustang which uses the normal style pan most here probably have. I didn’t realize it until I’m putting oil in the engine to prime it that the dipstick on these blocks is in the rear instead of the front like the 66 block that’s in the car. The dipstick hits the pan and I’m sure curves with it when fully seated. Anyone else figured out a solution to this?

I scored an E1 block for my 63.5 Falcon. The block is cast for both rear and front sump. I pulled the old tube from the rear and the expansion plug from the front. Procured a new dipstick and tube set(Ford#C2DZ-6750-B for front sump) from Falconparts dot com for $21 and Dorman expansion plugs part# 555-115 for a few pennies. See pics, 2 bosses cast in the block. Old tubes and pug, new stick, tube and plugs.

Block cast with 2 bored bosses
43398730584_c7a1fefeb9_z.jpg

Old and new tubes and expansion plugs and a shiny new dipstick
43398730284_7485d427c4_z.jpg

It must be just my luck or someone took the liberty of converting yours already, my block was not machined for a front location like yours. I see the area where it should be but mine is just solid cast iron. I may pull the pan off and see how it looks from underneath and maybe I can get mine relocated as well.

Cast iron, about 1" thick at that point. Depending on your confidence, a 1/4 HHS bit followed by a 23/64th and you'd be good to go for the tube to press in with some hi temp JBweld.

Just got done drilling the new location, thanks for the plug part#! I measured the newer and older dipsticks- they were both the same so luckily I can at least still use the one I've already painted. Hopefully there won't be any other major hurdles in this build!

Back