Holley 1945 Question

Lazy JW

5K+
Staff member
VIP
Am posting here for more exposure to Holley wisdom even though it isn't on a Ford.

My Son-in-law has an old Champ forklift with a 1976 slant six Chrysler and a 1945 Holley. I have never fiddled with this type carburetor before.

We just got the engine swapped in and running yesterday; it won't idle down without dying, so I have to open the idle speed screw so far that the idle mixture adjustment is not very effective.

It seems to be running quite rich.

The choke is NOT stuck closed; it is functioning quite properly.

Which way leans out the idle mixture, turning the screw in or turning the screw out?

Are there any smog idiosyncracies that may be causing problems?

The carb is a "new" rebuilt unit for a 1976 Dodge Aspen, so no telling how well it was rebuilt.

It is being fed with an electric fuel pump of unknown provenance.

We have a Haynes manual for the 76 Aspen but it isn't much help.

Any help will be much appreciated,
Joe

Holley Model 1945 Chrysler Training Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBti9Y-5g60

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBti9Y-5g60[/bbvideo]

The problem is that only the Mopar 1-bbl Holley 1945 stuff on the net is all encompassing

From viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75674

Mopar 1974 Master Technicians Service Conferance (MTST) rebuild video is the best help...

Just have to re name

the Power_valve_modulator

Power_valve_modulator.jpg

OSAC (Orifice Spark Advance Control) ,
autozone.com's 1945/6145 carb service is good, whereas the Ford one is just downright nasty...

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Ch ... 528007fc53

Fig. 1: Float level adjustment for the Holley 1945 and 6145 carburetors
Fig. 2: Accelerator pump piston stroke adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 3: Fast idle cam position adjustment on the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 4: Choke unloader adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 5: Choke vacuum kick adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 6: Fast idle speed adjustment for the Holley 1945 and 6145 carburetors
Fig. 7: Dashpot adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor

15 min of joy, joy, joy

One thing to dbl check is the ignition timing. If it is overly retarded it could cause a condition were the idle speed has to be turned up excessively. More advance will raise the idle speed at any given setting on the carb. Also, it sounds like the idle circuit may be plugged up, was the carb rebuilt?

Econoline":3nn4taje said:
One thing to dbl check is the ignition timing. If it is overly retarded it could cause a condition were the idle speed has to be turned up excessively. More advance will raise the idle speed at any given setting on the carb. Also, it sounds like the idle circuit may be plugged up, was the carb rebuilt?

Yes, the carb is a "new" rebuilt unit, I think he purchased it from AutoZone.

I will double check the timing; I may also try disconnecting the vacuum advance for now as I think the throttle is opened up enough to make the ported vacuum active. I'm not convinced that a forklift will ever benefit from vacuum advance as there really will never be much part-throttle cruising.

Thanks for the help,
Joe

Turning the idle mixture screw in leans it. Is there a governor on it? :nod:

Hi Joe the one I used to maintain had the Chrysler Industrial slant six. It had a govener that only let it operate at lower rpms to about a max of 2600 rpm. The tune up specs were also a bit different from the cars or pickups too. I.E. had less base timing . Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks Bubba. If this one ever had a governor it is long since departed. We purchased it from a neighbor who had swapped out a worn-out engine for a lesser-worn engine, then proceeded to run it without an air cleaner. This was the most worn out engine I have ever seen that would still start and run. It burned a quart of oil in less than two miles driving it home; left a blue cloud all the way.

We swapped in a freshly rebuilt engine and just got it going this weekend. It starts and runs well, just needs some tuning, I won't have time to work on it until next weekend.

So I finally pulled the top off the carb and lo and behold the float was set about 1/4" high. :devilish:

The old Champ forklift purrs like a kitten now. :D

Thanks for the help, (y)
Joe

U Go Joe,
thnx 4 trustin us, takin us (me) along.
Time 4 da cord wood? hay? what's up wid da Fork use now?

Thnx~

My daughter and son-in-law buy hay by the semi-truck load and it is in big rectangular bales of ≈1500 lbs. This old Champ forklift is an off-road model with big tires and is rated for 8000 lb on the first stage of lift and 4000 lb on the second stage, which reaches up to 30'. He can move three bales at a time without even breaking a sweat.

WoW
:shock:
2T clean jerk!
Not 4 WD tho, eh?
You think its the 170ci or 225 Slanty?

We have sompin here kinda similar ("off rd") the contractors use that can drive/sit on uneven ground but set it's load (typically sheathing 4 2nd fl or sheet rock/other product) up-a-level or 2 onto level/plumb surfaces. It can drive that way too - w/o droppin a load due to travelin the gradients.

The engine is a 225. My brother used to drive US Mail routes in a Dodge Aspen station wagon; he had rebuilt this engine as a spare about 20 years ago, but had never started it. He donated it to the cause, we just had to swap oil pans and manifolds (the forklift has a weird exhaust pipe casting that we didn't want to separate from the manifold for fear of damaging something).

This machine has a torque converter (no clutch) coupled to a Warner T-19 four-speed truck transmission with no reverse in the transmission. It has a separate reverser box so it gives four speeds in both directions. It has a pedal-operated contraption that somehow releases the torque converter (probably by dumping the fluid flow, just guessing) for stopping and shifting.

It is two-wheel drive; we operated a four-wheel drive Eagle forklift at one sawmill where I was employed, it wasn't really much of an advantage, and many of the parts were proprietary (expensive).

probably not the same but may B? More properly called 'all terrain' (around here).

https://www.google.com/search?q=lull+al ... _Y4AXPk9XM:

when there (above) click on
Images for lull all terrain forklift

a few varieties but generally what I meant...

EDIT:
Didn't realize what I'd tried to post actually DID post (after I hit the 'send' button).
Live'n learn, here's 3 below!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.png
    image.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.png
    image.png
    181 KB · Views: 28
Ah, yes. Those are very nice machines and ever so much more modern than ours :mrgreen: This old Champ is a standard forklift with big front tires, small rears (steering) and a massive counterweight. It does have fully hydraulic steering, which is very nice. It does lack side-shift on the forks :(

Maybe this weekend I can get some pictures and try to post them.

"...get some pictures and try to post them"
that's OK Joe. It's just very interesting to me.

The ones we use here R also "several steps down" frm those pic. Much older and not $75K - $40K . But still Lull's.
Infact that's how they R referred to round here:
"He's lucky, got plenty of wrk from the real estate co so just bought an ol Lull'n and askin any of the guys w/a hammer if they wanna work."
I've never been able to C how they've powered but a 170/200 or a 170/225 should sure be adequate umph. For some reason alot of folks here use a 4Bt to repower stuff that to me doesn't need such weight or tq (a back hoe diesel).

Back