Lifter issues and thinking about new camshaft

69stang_250

VIP
So my buddy heard a ticking from the engine bay the other day. I asked him to take off the valve cover and see if he could move any of the rocker arms. There was significant play in one, so I am having him bring the thing over to the mechanic that works on it when I am not in the US to do it myself. I am thinking that it may be a lifter issue, but may not be anything.

If it turns out to be a lifter I am considering changing out the camshaft out.

My current set up it CS 280 hyd 110* cam with 1.6 adjustable rockers. It is a very nice cam and I do like it a lot. However, I am curious about a few other cam grinds I have seen and curious about you guys opinions.

I have been looking at some of the cams out there and debating on trying out a solid cam.
With as much as the car is driven the solid cam maintenance is a non issue for me.

The cams I am looking at are the CS 278, Schneider 274 solid, and Schneider 280-90 HYD cam.
The Schneider 284 looks like it would be right at home with my set up, But I dont think my valves and springs will support the lift.

Have you guys had any experience with any of these cams?
With the clay smith 280 ( 1* advanced) it comes on strong at 2200-2300rpm and pulls on into the 5000s.
I do not plan on spinning the engine past 6000 ever and kinda want to see if I can get more out of my engine than what I have now.

Any input?

Car: 69 mustang coupe ( I am guessing around 3200lbs)
Trans: T5Z 2.95 first
Rearend: 8” 3.80 gears Eaton tru track

Back