Carb Issue with Aussie Head

Matthew68

Hi Folks,

I got the Aussie Head and the intake mounted today, and now I've ran into an issue. The Autolite 2100 I'm using has an electric choke that hits the shock tower. I can't orient the 180* because the accelerator action would be reversed and the linkage would hit the shock tower as well. I'm looking into manual chokes, but not sure if that will allow the 2100 to fit.

What else have others done? I need about 1.5" of clearance or so. I did a search through the forum, and didn't find anything. I know lots of folks use the WW Stromberg Carb, but I want to stick with the Autolite.

I only found one kit that changes an auto choke to a manual: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/e ... ual-choke/

If that doesn't give me the clearance, what other options are there?

Cheers,
Matthew

I've been trying to attach pics, but it says the storyboard quoata has been reached and I cannot add any photos. Imgur links below.

https://imgur.com/a/WGMGVLd
https://imgur.com/PtFKogc

pose that Q on that forum?

viewforum.php?f=3

I C nuttin in your pic 4 me to problem solve with.
I imagine U could do a lill on both, ie do some movin & or 'clearencin'
on the shock (tower) as well as the carb.?

R U sayin the "long stick-out" of the choke apparadis hits the top threaded 'peg' of the shock?
Have u seen double eyed shocks? Would that provide more room if used?

You could add a tall phenolic spacer. But that cuts into hood clearance. If yoy use a carb hat with the remote air filter it might work. Otherwise id change the carb. The auto choke is a nice option but i dont know if you really want to go manual. You obviously spent some $$ for the head and intake, i dont see what another $100 or less for a carb that fits better and may be better over the autolite.

One to look into is a weber 38/38, slightly different bolt pattern than the autolite (they make adapters), and i believe the choke is parallel to the crank instead of perpendicular.

Just my .02

Good luck man!

You might try a google search. OZ250 head. Click the images tab and look for examples. Sorry, no other answer comes to mind.

this might B 1 on our forum for these issues, didn't read it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76867

Matt:
As I said...post a new thread w/the subject line I used here on that forum askin for assistance...
Y try'n reinvent the wheel, they've most likely've gone thru it, solved it & R 'in the wind'!

I ran a 2V head on my 63, it was close with a Holley 2v carb and elect choke but cleared. Do you have a motor mount problem causing the engine to lean to the passenger side?

fast64ranchero":2mujnta6 said:
I ran a 2V head on my 63, it was close with a Holley 2v carb and elect choke but cleared. Do you have a motor mount problem causing the engine to lean to the passenger side?

There's no leaning, the auto choke housing is just huge on the 2100. I've got a Holley 2300 coming my way, I'm going to be trying that for fitment. Which Holley did you use?

The Holley 2300 will be fine. Mine was close with the Oz head. Even closer now with the aluminum head.

65coupei6":19hxjqva said:
The Holley 2300 will be fine. Mine was close with the Oz head. Even closer now with the aluminum head.
pic 4 da dude?

Someone gave me a Holley 2300 to try. It has the electric choke installed, but the prongs (even when pushed it) touch the shock tower. The manual choke components were included, so I might try that.

Otherwise, I bought a rough Autolite 1.23 2100 manual choke carb from eBay for $50. Having KP Carbs restore and rebuild, that should work perfectly and run a little easier than the Holley.

Cheers,
Matthew

Back