IL6 manifold gasket

mojo67

What we are gathering about replacing manifold gasket is that most likely the bolt heads will break and will have to be drilled and tapped. So since we won't be doing this till fall we were wondering different ideas to get these old rusted bolts out? They are pretty rusty. What if anything can be done now while we are running it to soften them up? without smelling like hell.

Also. We have a blinker problem the left one stays on steady(doesnt blink) and the right one blinks. Is this the flasher?

without soaking with penetrate, bring the engine to temp and see if you can break some of the bolts loose.

A non working flasher to one side is usually a burnt out bulb on that side.

removing any tool from the kit seems like an exercise in frustration in this particular instance.

I don't have any oder problems w/rust busters. Perhaps it is because I don't run the vehicle while doing the work (but the amount of heat I've applied after has burned up alot of that stuff - still not too odoriferous 4 me). I have asthma & think I'm pretty sensitive too.

Anyway it seems that 'mechanical' and 'heat' R the only 1s you've left ur self. 'Cherry red" w/a torch (if not simply the regular counterclockwise wrenchin at first) is my usual. I start w/the easiest & proceed up the chain of options as needed. I spray down'n soak over a few days if possible. I start my 'twist' then I may back up (go clockwise a lill) & go back to ccwise (thru out the 1st 1/4 or 1/2). I have a lill 1/4 inch battery impact, 1/2 pneumatic and a big monster. I work my way up if needed attempting to save the stud or bolt. Each case is different. It's tough to feel the difference between a fastener unscrewin frm it longtime home and it twistin in half when snappin off'n breaking. Removing the tool 4 a look periodically can help.

"...break and will have to be drilled and tapped"
this is SOP with about 1/3 of the exh. mani wrk I do...
One thing that increases the difficulty is breakin off a drill bit in the wrk. I just got onea deze in an owner's DIY break caliper wrk. They are hardened metal so create more pain for an already not fun job anyway. :roll:

Creativity, thoughtfulness, ability to slo dwn, partners, alternative tools to try - all help in the automotive shop. Expect the worse, plan 4 it & U might save ur MH & lower ur frustration level (or not).
:shock:

I like to give the bolt head a good "WHACK" with a BFH ( um, large hammer...) before turning anything with a wrench.. Tends to shock things a bit loose .Also, work the bolt head back and forth a tiny bit in both directions.
Another forum I'm on swears by the torch and wax method for loosening stuck bolts. They apply heat to the bolt hole with a torch, remove torch and apply candle wax, the heat draws the wax into the hole. I've never tested it , but again, some swear by that method..
DannyG

To all,
:thanks: for the advice. It sounds like when we get ready to do this soak them good with PB for days. Then heat up with a torch let them cool a bit and wack with a hammer then try n tighten, loosen back and forth etc etc
And prob pray and swear often. ( but the wax and torch sounds interesting. Just any candle will do?)

I switched bulbs for rear blinker/brake lights and they do the exact same thing. Blink on right rear, blinker solid on left rear. Right front solid, left front nothing(prob cause bulb no good). Tail lights all work. Maybe wire messed up. Maybe I’ll just replace all bulbs and go from there. 1157 bulb
in rear.
Is front also 1157?

:unsure: Might want to try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.Seems to do a pretty good job on all kinds of fasteners.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

seperate thread:
these ol rigs seem to B pretty rusty.
Ck inside sockets then get schematice &/or search out all & re-do the grounds well.

After all the soaking repeated for a few days wire brush the bolt heads ...The bolt head is 9/16'' but it will not be 9/16'' any more due to rust, pound on a six point snug fitting metric socket ...less chance of rounding of the head, do not break the bolt use heat if necessary and more soaking.
You probably know this but ford did not put gaskets between the head and the exhaust manifold.

Back