Front main seal or oil pan seal?

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So i think some of you may remember my clutch crap and thus i got a 66' 200 l6. I changed the oil pump for good measure since i had just put one in the old 200. Now, im getting a lot of leaking from the front of the pan. It didnt leak at first but after some driving it started leaking. I made sure all the pan bolts are snug.

Before, i have no idea when this engine was last run, the guy i got it from had no idea either. Could this just be the front main seal going? If so, how hard is it to change? Please dont say lossen the main bearings and drop the crank a hair.

Thanks,
Ryan

Changing a front crankshaft main seal is fairly easy :shock: but it requires pulling the front crankshaft damper off and the timing chain cover too, which that front seal is installed in. Good luck (y)

bubba22349":3r8d6vte said:
Changing a front seal is fairly easy :shock: but it requires pulling the front crankshaft damper off and the timing chain cover too, which that front seal is installed in. Good luck (y)
But i dont have to touch the oil pan? Im already happy

I'd say the pan will have to come off to properly reseal the front of the pan to the timing cover.

There's the rubber part of the pan gasket the goes in the rear main cap, and the front cover, the cork side gaskets have little tabs that go into those rubber seals.

The rubber/cork pan gasket won't overlap/interlock correctly trying to just pull and replace the front cover.

...sounds like your front pan gasket is leaking,

If it is the oil pan seal around the timing chain cover the pan needs to come off to re-seal rubber pan gasket . If front seal of balancer is leaking, you should not have to take off pan or cover. Also there is a repair sleeve that slips over balancer seal land if balancer has groove worn into it. I needed on on the Maverick 170 swapped into have in my '63 wagon.

'Speedy Seal"

144/170/200 six application :
https://www.autozone.com/external-engin ... wYmme=true

have fun

powerband":1lajim9p said:
...sounds like your front pan gasket is leaking,

If it is the oil pan seal around the timing chain cover the pan needs to come off to re-seal rubber pan gasket . If front seal of balancer is leaking, you should not have to take off pan or cover. Also there is a repair sleeve that slips over balancer seal land if balancer has groove worn into it. I needed on on the Maverick 170 swapped into have in my '63 wagon.

'Speedy Seal"

144/170/200 six application :
https://www.autozone.com/external-engin ... wYmme=true

have fun

Of how bad its leaking im thinking it is the front main. I just replaced the pan gasket which is why i don't think its it. So the front main is on the balancer or is it behind the timing cover?

Like when i turn the car off, i get this huge drop of oil from the front. Plus im getting oil thrown all over thr front of thr engine, like on the bottom of the alternator, puddles in motor mounts, all over the passenger steering components, the top of the bottom lip of the timing cover. That whole area is nasty when jt was clean

You need to check if the back of the crank damper is wet with oil or if the front is wet with oil. If it's coming from the back it's the seal in the timing cover. If it's wet on the front of the damper it's almost certainly coming from the bolt that holds the damper on. Oil can seep to the face via the keyway and get slug off the front of the damper/pulley, esp at higher RPMs. The way to fix that is to remove the bolt, clean it and it's washer and the land and keyway in the damper with brakleen. Then put sealant on the washer and where it seats on the damper and squeeze some in the keyway as well and reinstall the bolt and torque to spec. Wait at least a day to run it again.

And yes, if it's the timing cover damper seal, you will have to at least lower the front of the oil pan to get the cover back on properly. You won't have to remove it entirely though.

In my shop manual it says i need this tool to align the timing cover, is it really needed or do the bolts themselves pretty much align jt? It looks like a socket but with a slit cut in it.

Econoline":bg9t7rbg said:
You need to check if the back of the crank damper is wet with oil or if the front is wet with oil. If it's coming from the back it's the seal in the timing cover. If it's wet on the front of the damper it's almost certainly coming from the bolt that holds the damper on. Oil can seep to the face via the keyway and get slug off the front of the damper/pulley, esp at higher RPMs. The way to fix that is to remove the bolt, clean it and it's washer and the land and keyway in the damper with brakleen. Then put sealant on the washer and where it seats on the damper and squeeze some in the keyway as well and reinstall the bolt and torque to spec. Wait at least a day to run it again.

And yes, if it's the timing cover damper seal, you will have to at least lower the front of the oil pan, you probably won't have to remove it though.
Ok ill check it out. Thanks a lot!

Back