Main girdle?

62Cometman

Bored and searching around instagram i found a 6 enthusiest from the AU and he happened to post a picture of the bottom end of his engine im guessing grey motor 186? maybe someone could correct me there but he happened to have a main girdle on his engine and tbh the bottom end looks exactly like our motors so in thinking this could be a easy swap? also could this be used with a 4 main engine as well? id be keen to think so or hope so at least thought you all would be interested

44500311351_8772ec69a4_z.jpg

:shock: well that for sure won't fit a 4 main block. But it wouldn't be any harder to build one that will fit an early 4 main block. Good luck (y) :nod:

it shouldnt be too hard to have a stud girdle made up for your engine by a competent machinist.

as to their worth, for the street they are of limited use, unless you are making some big power. for the race track they are more necessary. to prevent main cap walking at higher rpms.

the choice is yours, personally i like them and i believe that even for the street they are a worthwhile addition.

Hi all,

Isn't that a Ford 200 or 250 motor?

A couple of things suggest it is:

1. The Ford 144-170-200-221-250 engines all have their manifolds on the left hand side as you stand at the front of the engine. Holden's I6 engine family of the same time all have their manifolds on the right hand side. Looking at this photo I'm sure I'm seeing cam bearings etc. on the left from underneath - when the engine is swung through 180 degrees they would be on the right hand side, where a Ford camshaft and push rods sit.

2. Zooming in on the photo, there is "250" cast into one of the crankshaft counterweights. That might be wishful thinking though.

This doesn't help those of us wanting to put girdles on our 144cu and 170cu though! I should talk to the guy who is about to start building me an engine...

Cheers,
Alan.

44500311351_8772ec69a4_z.jpg

That's a 250 six with a crank girdle like the Barra engined Falcons from 2003 to 2016 ran.

Plenty of guys with the 3.3 202 Holden engine used in the XU1 GTR' Toranas have also used the BA/BF/FG crank gridle or windage tray parts to control oil splash, or strengthen the bottom end of an engine that regularly runs to 7500 rpm in competion. The Ford six and Holden Red , Blue and Black 138/149/161/173/179/186 and 202 engines share the same bore centers of 4.08", and the same seven bearing main cap spacings on the later Tall deck 200/250 versions of the US derived 200 and 250 engines.

One downstroked 4 .0 liter 243 cubic inch Barra DOHC six with the factory crank brace reves to over 10900 rpm at the drags in twin turbo form. Errol Quartermaine's DD/G HB Torana started with a Holden engine, then he went to a Barra 4.0from a Falcon,and his current set up is infact a Twin Turbo BA Falcon 4 liter engine in a Falco drag car. Destroked to what is now 179 cubes.

Errol Quartermaines BA Falcon Turbo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3R9WX6_uAo

Back